How to append to the task description some customs field values from linked issues.

Deleted user April 26, 2021

I would like that when an issue is transition to "In progress".

The values of several custom fields from different tickets that are blocking the actual task will be added at the bottom (or some position) from the task description.

When I try to edit the field description via automation, the only options are:

• Field to be cleared
  • Copy from trigger issue

Is there an option to add a table with the values of custom fields; the values are inside the linked tasks which type is "blocked by"?

description.png

1 answer

0 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

@[deleted] Add the following into the Description text field in the Edit Issues action

||column heading A||column heading B||
|row 1, column A data|row 1, column B data|
|row 2, column A data|row 2, column B data|
|row 3, column A data|row 3, column B data|

And then just edit the values to reflect the changed you wish to make. This will create a 2x4 table, however you can extend this by adding in more sections using the same format of the mark-up.

Hope this helps!

Hello @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_ the only effect when adding the text you listed is:

- The actual description was overwritten by the "empty" table generated (sorry maybe I misunderstood your suggestion)

What I want:, 

• add at the bottom of the actual description, a table.
  • inside the table should be the information from custom fields from linked issues to the trigger task.
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

@[deleted] Only just saw the second part of your question! 

You could use the Lookup Issues action to find the list of tasks which are 'blocked by' your current issue - your lookup would be issue in linkedIssues({{issue.key}},"is blocked by").

The issue here is that you can only retrieve a handful of field values in the lookup, so you wouldn't be able to retrieve custom field values - to do this, you may need to get an add-on such as Scriptrunner and create a script which would achieve what you are looking for.

Like Deleted user likes this
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

And to add a table to the bottom of your description, you can add {{issue.description}} above the text  in my first answer, which will display the existing description above. However, use this carefully as if you transition to In Progress several times in a workflow, it will add the table each time to whatever is in the description field - so you may end up with multiple tables.

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_  thank you.

Yes I found that only few fields are available to retrieve when using {{lookupIssues}}

I hope JIRA has enquiry to include Customs Fields in {{lookupIssues}}

What I am think to do is the following:

On each linked issue "Blocked by" from the trigger task; which has the information in Custom Fields, I will generate an automated comment that summarizes in a table the information containing these "customs fields".

Then using the smart value {{issue.comments}}

Copy the body from this last comment and add-it to the actual description of the trigger task that should summarize all that information before it is completed.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

I'm not too sure this would work - instead of a custom field value, you are copying a comment from a linked task to the trigger issue, but comments are also not in the list of retrievable fields from the Lookup Issues action. Perhaps I have misunderstood your description above.

Also...

I hope JIRA has enquiry to include Customs Fields in {{lookupIssues}}

suggestion ticket for this use case was opened in Atlassian's Jira earlier this month. Vote for it, watch it, and hopefully it will be implemented in the future.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events