How to aggregate JIRA issues from multiple projects into one 'Release' project?

mc February 25, 2014

I'm trying to put together a Release project that uses 'release' issues to act as release tickets. Each issue from the Release project should aggregate via links, multiple issues from other projects. I want the Release project to then have a workflow that covers the release process, and as the release issue moves through it's states, it should be able to change the state of the attached issues.

For example, the Release project would create an issue titled 'release_1234' and have 5 issues linked to it from multiple projects. Issue release_1234 could then move through the workflow of Created > Ready for Build > Released to QA > QA Testing > Ready for Release > Deployed > Verified. As Issue release_1234 move through these states in the workflow, it should be able to check the states of the linked issues and make sure they are in the correct states in their workflows, and as it reaches the final state, it should have the capability to close/resolve the linked issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set this up?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2014

Sounds very tricky. I don't have any experience like that. However, I suspect that both Update issues and Conditioned validator from Conditioned Workflow Functions for JIRA could help with part of this requirement. At least reduce the amount of scripting (Script runner) you would need to do. The key would be the ability of having JQL queries that can find the right issues to run checks on to stop the transition if necessary and then potentially update them as needed.

Suggest an answer