How to add worklog for a temporary resource

Vikas Sharma July 1, 2022

Hello All,

I am working on use case where I have some temporary team members working as resource. Now as they are temporary, I dont want to assign them any license in Jira due to budget constraint. But want them to add their worklog or to be added on their behalf.

How we can address this? Can we have Dummy or alias users? 

We have planned to use Jira Cloud Rest API to add worklogs through our custom application.

Looking forward for the guidance

Thanks

Vikas

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

Hi @Vikas Sharma and welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, only actual users can log work in Jira. Or: work logs in Jira are always logged for an actual, existing user. There even is a permission associated with it.

You could try to add the worklogs to an already existing user, but that would mean you can no longer track the actual work that specific user actually performed.

Hope this clarifies!

Vikas Sharma July 1, 2022

Hi Walter!

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward for more learnings.

In case if a User is inactive, can we add worklog for this inactive account from Add Worklog Rest API end points? Because in the body parameters, I could not see any parameter to add "Author".

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

I am not an API expert, @Vikas Sharma, but inactive users don't have the necessary permissions inside the application to log work. So I have my doubts if that would be possible. 

Like Vikas Sharma likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events