How to add issues to a next-gen kanban board?

chad February 27, 2020

Please help me add issues to my kanban board in a next-gen project.

So far I can go the Backlog, click the action button, and add to board.

1. But how do I do add to the board from an existing issue?

2. And how can I add an issue from the kanban board itself?

This seems so basic so forgive me if I'm overlooking something.

2 answers

0 votes
chad March 3, 2020

I gave up on this. I couldn't change a backlog issue from "todo" to "in progress" and have it appear on the kanban board.

My workaround was to create a "backlog" kanban column and move the issues there and turn off the backlog feature. Which is a shame because there are a lot of issues there and I wanted a focused board.

Alexander July 31, 2020

Thanks for sharing, looks like I will likely have to do the same

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

Hello @chad ,

Can you see the Create issue button as shown below?

If not, it may be that you only have viewer permissions, please contact the administrator to add member permissions for you.

TIM截图20200227173417.png

chad February 27, 2020

Hey. Thanks for your quick answer. I can create *new* issues just fine.

What I'm trying to do is add *existing* issues directly on the Kanban board (not the backlog as shown in your screenshot). 

I'm also trying to *existing* issues to the board.  For example, someone sends me an issue from the backlog and I'd like add it. How can I do it directly from the issue.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

You need to turn off the Backlog Features.

https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/kanplan

TIM截图20200227175906.png

chad February 27, 2020

Thanks for that link. It looks like Kanplan is what I'm after.  I like having the Backlog screen as a better way to see/triage/manage all issues not immediately prioritised.

What I'm trying to achieve is to keep the Kanban board focused. I don't want to have 100+ issues in a todo/backlog column on the board. It is too hard to easily see and the Backlog view is much nicer.

I guess what I'm looking for is this:

Issues have states like Todo / In Progress / Done.

Would it be possible to have a state "Backlog" that is *not* shown on the board.  If I changed the state to "todo" it would appear on the board.  If I changed to "backlog" it would be removed from the board.

Is something like that possible?  

Suggest an answer