How to add custom fields to Epic level only and not story or task

Mark Phan June 11, 2020

Hello, I am trying to add custom fields and require them for the Epic level only. The problem I'm having is these fields are showing as required for story and task levels as well. I don't want to show these fields on story and task level, only epic level. How can I do this? 

My custom fields:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 2.45.06 PM.png

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2020

Hi Mark - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can also add a new context to the custom field and limit it to just Epics. 

Niels Kristian Jensen January 5, 2021

It seems, you also have to add all project to a context. What about new projects?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

You wouldn't necessarily have to add a project to the context. It just depends if you want to create different contexts by project. 

Niels Kristian Jensen January 5, 2021

Thanks -

I use "Add configuration scheme context" when editing the custom field.

I tried to leave "Choose applicable context" empty, but that is not possible, as far as I can tell?

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2020

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the community.

You will need to build a custom Field Configuration that has these fields as Required. Then, update your Field Configuration Scheme for the project to use your new custom Field Configuration for just Epic type issues.

If you want the fields to not show up at all in other types of issues, then you will also need to create a custom Screen for the Epic issue that includes the fields. Then you would have to add that into a Screen Scheme, and then incorporate that Screen Scheme into the project's Issue Type Screen Scheme where you would associate the Screen Scheme to the Epic issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events