Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to add a new ticket to the top of a sprint automatically

Hello,

Is there a way to config Jira in a way that when I add a new ticket to a certain sprint, it will automatically be added to the top of the list? (Not to backlog)

Right now it throws it somewhere in the middle which is a bit confusing

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Rik de Valk Community Leader Sep 04, 2022

Hi @Alice Goland ,

Every issue always has a Rank related to all other issues. But practically you rank the issues related to the other issues in the Backlog, or in the Sprint or in the current Column of the Kanban board.

When you move an issue from Backlog to a Sprint it will end up in a position based on the issues hitory of ranking. Maybe the issue was ranked low down in the backlog. And during its stay in the backlog it was ranked lower than all of the issues that are currently already in the Sprint. In that case it will end up at the bottom.

And vice versa: if - during its stay on the backlog - was ranked very high, it will end up high up in the sprint.

So: it 'remembers' its position relative to the other issues in the Sprint. It respects your original ranking.

If you want to adjust that behavior: I'm not aware of any solution (other than disabling ranking). But maybe other community members do!

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/rank-an-issue/

ranking.png

Thanks @Rik de Valk 

But these is relevant for already existing issues 

I  am talking about an issue that I've just created and while creating it, put it under certain sprint. In that sprint, it just randomly add that issue somewhere. I want a new issue to be added on top of the list in a sprint....

Rik de Valk Community Leader Sep 04, 2022

For new issues, the location in the ranked backlog depends on the issue that was selected the moment that the create button is clicked. The new issue will be created below the selected issue. 

If no issue is selected, the issue will appear at the bottom. 

Like Alice Goland likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events