How to access Administrator area in a project

Tracey Vincent April 16, 2019

I've been given Jira Administrator permissions for a project. I have no Jira training. I don't even know how to access the Administrator area of the project & have been told to 'look at the guidance on Google for help'. I can't work it out. I need to remove another administrator and add 3 new ones. How can I navigate to the Administrator 'pages'(?) to do this. Is there some clear / simple on-line guidance

3 answers

1 vote
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Hello,

If you are using Server here is the documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver0713/editing-a-project-s-details-964984400.html

If you are using Cloud here is the documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/editing-a-project-s-details-938021482.html

To remove administrator and add new ones you should use the users and roles section:

Workspace 1_284.pngYou can add either users or groups to administrator role here. In order to create groups and add users, you need to user management. 

To reach wherever you want to go, you can click on 'gg' on your keyboard and search for it. It is very useful.

I hope this is helpful. 

Regards.

Many thanks, I've saved the link, but don't seem to have access to that page, so I think I've been set up wrongly

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Yeah, you probably don't have the permission to configure the project. Glad it helped.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

as a project admin you cannot add/remove admins. that is a Jira/System admin function. You will not have access to the system admin pages. You only have access to the project settings. Talk to the system admin who gave you access and have them make the changes. I would not expect they would want to provide you w/ System Admin functions given your experience to date.

OK thanks Jack. I'm confused about the roles, as we seem to call them something different. Suffice it to say I haven't been given the right permissions, which I agree is a good thing! I'll go through the System Administrators when I've had some training.............

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

I thought @Tracey Vincent means removing/adding project admins to the project. That's how I understood anyways. If you are a project admin, you can add and remove other project admins.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

that certainly could be the intention. it was unclear to me.

Yes, I've been asked to add and remove other project administrators. 

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Go to the project you want to configure and look for a cog icon in the lower left corner of your screen. That's the Project Configuration button.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks, I haven't got a 'cog' in the left hand pane, so I think I may not have been given edit settings!

Suggest an answer