How to SetUp JIRA software(Starter license) on my server and setup database

Disha Matlani August 21, 2017

How to setup JIRA licensed software and database setup on my server 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2017

Run the installer and answer the questions it asks.

If you want to do it properly, you will want to install a database server as well, as a data store.  It will be asked about as you run the installer.

Thanks Nic,

So if I have to setup in linux server, do I need to run the installer on the server or on my PC itself?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2017

It's a web-application - you install it on a server, then talk to it via a client application (generally, a browser)

Thanks Nic, so you mean I should install the exe on my linux server and then how to get the URL, so that I can use it? and the database setup?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2017

No.

An exe is for Windows.  You need to get the Linux download.  Assuming you accept the defaults, the url will be http://<the host name of your server>:8080

I can't help you with database setup - you need to choose one and install it as per documnetation (I'd recommend PostGres if you have not got a favourite in mind)

Thanks Nic,

I do have 1 more question.

Is JIRA supported only in Apache tomcat server?

No other server like jboss will go?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2017

Technically, you could run it on other application servers, but you won't be supported and it's a right pain to extract it all from a Tomcat installation and move it. 

So the simple answer is "no".  Use Tomcat.

Suggest an answer