How to create a Report in Jira using the Postgress Schema tables

Thanks

Karu

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

Don't.

The JIRA database is a data store.  It's about as optimised for reporting as I am optimised for a trip to Mars without a spaceship or suit.To give you a rough idea, look at a single issue.  If it's a bit complex, you may have to join up to 40 tables, often in joins 4 deep, and do them repeatedly, just to get the basic issue data.Whatever reporting you are trying to get to, please

Look at JIRA's internal reports - why are they not answering the question?  (Note, I'm not saying they can do it, jsut that tehy might be able to do it.  I'm more trying to get to what reporting you really need or want)
    Consider grabbing data over REST
    Look in the marketplace for reports that might do what you need
    Look in the marketplace for heavyweight reporting add-ons such as EasyBI or Dataplane (they both effectively do the data dictionary for you, which is probably going to cost less than building and maintaining your own, even before you add on the value of the reporting frameworks they enable for end users )
Punchi Rao September 5, 2017

Thanks Nic , my basic reporting need is to find number of issues created like select * from issue , where can I write query and see the report in Jira

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

That can be done inside JIRA far more easily than using SQL or reporting add-ons.

Go to Issues -> Search.

There is a simple search allowing you to define a search with drop-downs, but I prefer the advanced one where I can write "JQL".  This is *not* SQL, but has some similarities.  The main thing to understand about it if you are coming from a SQL background, is that is it only the "where" clause.  It says nothing about output, it just gives you lists of issues that match criteria

Your select statement example is too vague to be turned into a proper query, but try something like "project = ABC" to see all the issues in that project, or "project = ABC and resolution = unresolved" to see the open ones, and so-on.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver074/advanced-searching-921472935.html for a lot more...

Punchi Rao September 6, 2017

Thanks Nic , but this  advanced search will not give me option to write my own custom JQL , it has its own Pre built onces ,any other work around 

Suggest an answer