How to Create a Project

Vartan Antonian April 27, 2021

Hi Atlassian community,

I recently started at my company and am wanting to take "ownership" of our Jira project and board, but this is owned by a PM who's no longer working here. It seems I may not be able to get ownership rights of my project (Jira is quite complicated), so I'd rather opt to create a new project. However, when I go to Projects, all I can do is View Projects and cannot create one.

I don't have any support group to lean on for help, so I'm hoping someone provides me with helpful information or advice on what I can/should do. Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Hello @Vartan Antonian 

Welcome to the community.

To create a new Company Managed project you must be a member of the JIRA Administrators group. If your JIRA Administrators locked down project creation they could also prevent you from creating a Team Managed project. If you want to create a new project you will need to find the JIRA Administrators for your JIRA instance and ask them for help.

If you are unsure who the JIRA Administrators are then you might try to figure out who your Atlassian Site Administrators are, as they would be able to identify the JIRA Administrators. The Site Administrators usually include the contact information for whomever is responsible for paying for your JIRA Cloud licenses. You might try checking with the IT department for your company.

JIRA Administrators should have administrative access to all projects, and could add you as a project administrator for the existing project.

A JIRA Administrator also can make you an additional administrator for the board.

For your edification, here is a link to an overview of JIRA permissions:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/overview-of-jira-cloud-permissions/

Vartan Antonian April 27, 2021

Thank you Trudy. This is the info I needed. Now I just need to locate my site admins. Wish me luck!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events