How to Change the initial state from 'Open' to something else using the Agile Simplified workflow

C
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

My team wants to have the intial state for items to be 'New' opposed to 'Open'. when I try to edit the workflow I am told 'do not edit the workflow here' When I tried my trasition for creating a new item to open is now missing and a Jira services error is displayed.

End Goal, when using the Agile Simplified workflow, I want all uses created with the state as 'NEW'

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

Simply create a new workflow (from scratch or after copying your current workflow) and configure it as you need. You can rename the step to New and link it to the appropriate status or add both Open and New. You will have to then migrate the project to the new workflow.

Good starting point here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

Actually, no, with simplified workflow, it's not that bad.

What you need to do is:

• Add the column "new" to your boards, and make sure it includes the "new" status.
  • Make sure the new column is the first column on your board
  • Go to edit the simplified workflow - yes, it does say "do not edit me", but you can do it, and it is actually moderately safe, especially in this case
  • In the gui designer, drag the end of the "create" transition to the new status
  • Publish the draft

Note - this can go horribly wrong if you touch any other part of the flow. Mostly, it doesn't, but don't bet on it.

I would try this to fix your current workflow as well. If it does not work, then you'll need to create a new workflow scheme as Jobin says, migrate to it, then go into the list of workflows and delete the broken one, then go through the process of making the project use simplified workflow again (then do the process above)

C
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2014

This is what I did and I recieved a JIRA System error and my workflow was corrupt.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014

Ok, so you need to create a *new* workflow and migrate over to it.

Suggest an answer