How much work would have to take place on the back end to ensure no information was lost in jira ?

Aashish Gupta September 17, 2019

Could you please help me what is the best way if I changed something in Jira no information was lost.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2019

"Work on the back end" is a scary phrase to me though, it sounds like you might be thinking of touching the database outside Jira (with SQL).

Do not do this.  Jira uses the database as a data store, and most of the logic that keeps the data coherent is in the application, not the database.  This makes it very hard to get any SQL completely right and I've spent years cleaning up the messes made by people using SQL without fully understanding what they are doing in the Jira database.

Instead of worrying about data loss (right thing to worry about, but SQL is the best way to pretty much guarantee you will incur loss), could you explain what you are trying to achieve?  We can probably tell you the best and safest way to do it.

Aashish Gupta January 24, 2020

Thanks a lot for responding. :)

Suggest an answer