How many tasks are too much for Jira to handle

Darin Martin May 18, 2021

We have an application in the works that creates Jira tasks for incoming work.  Does anyone have an idea what the limits are on numbers of tasks?  This application could potentially be creating hundreds or even thousands of tasks per day.  

Thanks!

Darin --

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2021

Hi Darin,

That is one heck of a question and use case. My gut wants to say that you're using Jira incorrectly, but I do not know the whole of your situation to pull that trigger.

Nobody knows the actual limit. It can vary a lot due to resources, number of fields, automation in the instance, and any number of other items. Could you scale all resources up sufficiently to hit the actual maximum? Probably. What would the be the limiting factor? Probably a database table constraint or database specific numeric limit on a column or some other unicorn fart buried somewhere in the coding.

The bigger problem is the number of concurrent requests being made. The bottlenecks are writing to the database, updating the index, and the data getting to the two previously mentioned bottlenecks. You can throw resources at it, but there is generally a budgetary constraint. You can tune the configuration, add more nodes, direct all traffic from that app to a single node, and apply all the magic a team of keyboard wizards can provide; but you will always hit a point of diminishing returns.

Oof, oh yeah. I see sever in the upper right of this post. There will likely be slowdowns in the UI for human users when that app is either creating zero or a lot of requests even if you have everything tuned exactly correct.

I hope that answers your question. Cheers!

Darin Martin May 19, 2021

It does help some.  And yes, I've also got a question in on the best practices for Postgres for this Jira instance.    I figure it will come down to database commit performance.  I'm pretty much sold on a RAID 10 array for the database alone.. I'm also looking into internal Postgres tuning as well.

Thanks!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer