How is the feature "Days in Column" gathering data?

Rich Evers September 14, 2022

I would like to understand exactly how this is collecting data.  I have some stories that don't make sense as to how many days Jira is saying are in a column.  Also, I would like to know what each of the dots represent from a timeline perspective.  How many days for a dot to turn gray?  How many days for a dot to turn orange?  How many days for a dot to turn red?  How many days until a second dot shows up?

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Rich Evers 

The days in column feature uses the issue history data, and you may learn the specifics about what is displayed here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-cards/#Using-Days-in-column

Kind regards,
Bill

Rich Evers October 3, 2022

@Bill Sheboy I don't find this entirely true.  I had a Story issuetype that rolled from one Sprint on to the next (staying in the same column), and seemed to have reset.  We also have had Story issuetypes that have rolled on to the next Sprint and did not reset.  Any ideas about this?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2022

That is interesting...During that time, did anything change for the scrum board for status mapping to columns, add/edit/delete of status values, or to the workflow?  I would expect that some of those could reset the value, while no changes would lead to carry-over values from prior sprints.

For myself and the teams I coach, we only glance at the built-in days in column value.  Instead we use an Age Of WIP (custom field) that we set with an automation rule to reflect the working days in progress total, regardless of board columns.

Rich Evers October 3, 2022

Nothing changed that you referenced.  

Thanks for the tip on the custom field.  Unfortunately due to the complexity of our org, that wouldn't work too well.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2022

Given the inconsistencies you are observing, I suggest submitting a support ticket for Atlassian to take a look.  As the site admin for a paid license you should be able to do that here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Rich Evers October 5, 2022

Thank you for the feedback.  We'll see what happens.

KS February 7, 2024

@Rich Evers did your receive any additional clarity from submitting a ticket?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events