How does control chart calculate time in status if an issue happens to be twice in the same status?

Michał Kwieciński January 26, 2021

As per title, imagine a workflow where an issue could be more than once in a status:

To Do -> Development -> Testing -> Development -> Testing -> Done

Does time spent in Testing is:

• calculated in total for both "instances" of testing
  • calculated separately for each instance of testing
  • calculated only for last instance of testing

1 answer

1 vote
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Michał Kwieciński 

"Control chart - shows the Cycle Time (or Lead Time) for your product, version, or sprint. It takes the time spent by each issue in a particular status (or statuses), and maps it over a specified period of time. The average, rolling average, and standard deviation for this data are shown."

You can read more here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-understand-the-control-chart/

Additionally, you can consider Time in status for Jira cloud or Time Between Statuses apps from the Atlassian marketplace if you want to get more detailed information about the status durations.

The first one automatically calculates the time each issue was in each status. Second add-on lets you set start and stop statuses for timer and add such condition as first/last transition to/from status. 

Hope it helps

Regards

Michał Kwieciński January 26, 2021

Thanks for the tips.

With regard to the core of your answer, I think the explanation is vague enough for me to still have doubts how it is actually computed. The questions remains open :). 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

Testing in cloud instance I can recognize it is calculated for a specific status in total (a simple addition of time spent, no matter how often the issue was in a particular state).

Like Michał Kwieciński likes this
Michał Kwieciński January 27, 2021

Thank you, if it is empirically confirmed, I would very much like to accept your answer :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events