How do you track bugs in your sprint?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2013

It's great having the plan mode when adding items to a sprint; but, I need the ability to directly add an item to a sprint when I create the issue. The problem we are having is that when testing, the team will find bugs that need to be fixed during the development sprint. But, they don't automatically get added to a sprint; you have to go back to the plan mode and add them into the sprint. The latter isn't efficient since you need to be an administrator for managing the sprints and not appropriate for all QAs and Devs to have. The PO should not have to be involved in every decision regarding bugs identified during unit and functional testing.

If you add them now via JIRA, they actually don't get captured correctly and your reporting on the issues found during that sprint are not valid. You also easily lose sight of them as they don't appear on your board.

Does anyone have ideas on how they are managing the bug process within a sprint using JIRA and Greenhopper?

4 answers

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

Hi Karie,

You've probably found a solution for this problem long ago but still :

You could create a sub task of the type bug and add the bugs as subtasks to their corresponding stories, this would include them into the Sprint immediately.

You could also use the Sprint Custom Field on your Create Screen to give people the chance to add a newly created issue directly to a Sprint (you'll need the Sprint ID for this field, not the name).

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

@Kinto Soft; buing yet another 100 user cal license for what should be standard Jira/Jira Agile functionality is not an option - at least not for us.

I get the point. But, well, the add-on makes a lot of things more... ;-)

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2014

This is actually quite a good questions. We are doing it the same way as you are and combine it with fix version. But this only help us "find" the new bugs in the rapid board (e.g. easy to pinpoint the ones with fix version set) - the "add to sprint" is manual.

I would prefer having a function on the newly created Jira issue, under agile, were you could choose the sprint to "submit" the issue to.

I'll follow this question :) Please create an user story to Atlassian support if there are no good answers on it and let us know on the issue. I'll upvote it.

@Kinto Soft; buing yet another 100 user cal license for what should be standard Jira/Jira Agile functionality is not an option - at least not for us.

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2014

The Links Hierarchy may help as it shows the full tree structure of linked issues as well as it displays an icon for every issue belonging to a sprint.

In that way, people can easily see when a bug is linked to other planned issues (in a sprint) and the bug itself is not yet planned.

Suggest an answer