How do you show sub-tasks in Agile boards?

Hi forum!

On older versions of Greenhopper, you can see Sub-Tasks on the Planning & Task boards. This was useful since we broke down larger stories into sub-tasks, and estimated the sub-tasks. Also sub-tasks for the same issue could be scheduled in different sprints by dragging them into different releases.

But with the new Agile Boards feature, it's not possible to view subtasks. Estimates for larger stories are done at the sub-task level, and this is not visible on the board when trying to plan the sprints.

Does anybody know if there's a way to show sub-tasks, or can anybody recommend a different way of working with the new board feature?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

I don't know how to display the sub-tasks, but I can share how we work.

A story is typically small enough for the team to be able to handle within one sprint. It almost sounds like your stories were actually epics, and your sub-tasks were stories.

Instead of estimating the sub-tasks, stick to estimating the stories only. You can always link different stories together via the GH-custom field "epic/theme", or create your own field for this, if you need some way to see that certain stories belong together. Where I work, we use the "epic/theme" field to gather groups of stories.

Thanks for the advice Sara.

I also found this question with a very informative answer about time estmation and why you can't see sub-tasks in Rapid Boards

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/84349/rapid-board-time-estimates-with-sub-tasks

And Epics are not supported by GH at the moment, but they are coming soon...

You can see subtasks in Plan Mode on a per-story basis by clicking the little clipboard icon. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/91805/viewing-sub-tasks-on-the-rapid-board-in-plan-mode

Your subtasks may be filtered out, based on how your board is setup. If you are filtering on an epic, subtasks can't be assigned to an epic, so they won't appear. But if you don't filter on an epic, the subtasks will appear nested underneath each story that owns them.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

13,530 views 16 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you