How do you remove a resolved issue from the product backlog, or assign it to a completed sprint?

Eric Turley November 20, 2012

During the sprint planning meeting, we released our current sprint, and started planning the next. Then someone declared that an issue in our backlog was already fixed.

So we marked it closed, but now it's sitting in our backlog. It was fixed in the previous sprint, so maybe I'd like to assign it to that sprint, but can't figure out how (and maybe shouldn't).

I *could* assign it to the current sprint - even tho it doesn't make sense.

In any case, I *do* want to remove it from the backlog. It doesn't make sense for "completed work" to be sitting in the "product to-do list."

What should I do?

What *can* I do?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eric Turley December 3, 2012

For the answer to the 2nd part of my question, I had to make the Sprint field show so it could be edited.

In administration of the project, look at "Screens" and click the "More" link below it.

On that page, I selected the screen we have associated with the "Edit Issue" Operation.

On that page, I used the controls at bottom left to add the Sprint field.

Done.

0 votes
Subodh Srivastava November 30, 2012

Hey,

You will have to make a query [issuekey=abc-124] and then use 'bulk edit' option from under 'Tools' to see the "sprint" field.

Good luck!

Eric Turley December 3, 2012

For the answer to the 2nd part of my question, I had to make the Sprint field show so it could be edited.

In administration of the project, look at "Screens" and click the "More" link below it.

On that page, I selected the screen we have associated with the "Edit Issue" Operation.

On that page, I used the controls at bottom left to add the Sprint field.

Done.

0 votes
Eric Turley November 28, 2012

Not sure if replying to a reply keeps this question "active," cuz I'm getting email reminders that this is an open (potentially answered" question.

In fact, tho, still waiting on a reply.

If I had known better, I would have made 2 questions, tho. One for removing an issue from the backlog, and the other for assigning it to a completed sprint.

0 votes
J
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2012

Hey Eric! If you open the issue in JIRA, and click edit, you should see a sprint field (marked "for GreenHopper use only"). GreenHopper just uses an index to track these, but if you find the index by opening up another issue from the completed sprint, you should be able to copy this value into the issue you're wanting to add.

Eric Turley November 25, 2012

That makes sense, but I don't see the Sprint field. This is what I see, below.

The "Configure Fields" button has everything selected.

We are using Jira v5.1.7#786-sha1:c37bed1. And GreenHopper v6.0.6

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

An issue will not show in the backlog if it's in a status mapped to the last column. Just update the issue status so that it's in the last column.

Thanks,
Shaun

Eric Turley November 20, 2012

I hear you, but:

1) As stated above, we marked it "closed" - which is our last column. Tho - I did so by editing the issue, not dragging it to the closed column, because...

2) It isn't on the "Work" board yet. That was my point. It hasn't been assigned to a sprint yet, so I can't "drag it to a column." (There are no columns)

... unless I'm misunderstanding you or missing something.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

It shouldn't matter where you set the status, the board will not show any issue on the plan mode backlog where that issue has a status mapped to the last column (which is effectively the definition of done). Are you 100% sure that it's in a status that is in the last column?

If so I'd try updating to the latest version of GreenHopper because you might be seeing a bug in some older version.

Thanks,
Shaun

Eric Turley November 23, 2012

You're right. It was marked Resolved, not Closed (Closed is our last column). Marking it closed caused it to disappear from our backlog. So that answers that question.

Now to the 2nd question. Say I know that the issue was actually done during some completed sprint, but no one ever moved it into the sprint. Now I want to assign to a completed sprint. How can I do that?

Suggest an answer