How do you change the default workflow to a custom one?

Susan Cline March 29, 2012

I would really like to change the default Jira workflow to be a custom greenhopper one. When our people create new projects they often forget to change the workflow. Sorry if this has already been posted. I couldn't find anything close to this question. Thanks in advance.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2012

The default workflow can't be changed. But you can create a copy of the default, modificate the new workflow, and configure a scheme and projects to use this new workflow by default. It is almost the same thing... almost ;-)

Susan Cline March 29, 2012

Thanks everyone!

2 votes
Zane February 18, 2019

Has this been addressed yet?

"There's no way of changing the default workflow, such that you don't have to remember to change the workflow scheme after creating a project."

This is an unacceptable end user experience IMHO.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2012

Maybe the docs helps?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Activating+Workflow

In short, you need to add the workflow to a new scheme and use the scheme for your project.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2012

There's no way of changing the default workflow, such that you don't have to remember to change the workflow scheme after creating a project.

The default workflow is defined in atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-workflow.xml, but I'm not sure what all you need to do after changing it in the file.

Suggest an answer