How do you associate a different workflow with an agile board?

Terry Jeske April 28, 2015

I have a requirement to add a step (column) to an agile board. The board contains multiple projects, so when looking at the configuration options for workflow, it states:

Agile Simplified Workflow unavailable

So two questions:

1. What workflow is it using if it is not using simplified?
  2. How do  you associate the board with a custom workflow?

I have read the documentation and it basically just gives the reasons why simplified workflow is not available, and nothing on how to manage workflows for boards with multiple projects.

Thx for any insights.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2015

You don't.  Workflows are associated with Projects, not boards.

A simplified workflow is the exception to that, but what actually happens is JIRA takes the board and uses it to maintain a decoupled workflow for the project behind the scenes.

To change this, go into normal (not agile) JIRA and go to the project.  Look at the settings and you'll find a "workflow scheme", which probably says simply "use simplified workflow for <project name> for all issues in this project".  Change that to another workflow scheme that says "use my workflow for all issues in this project" (or several workflows, by issue type)

Terry Jeske April 29, 2015

Thx Nic, slowly starting to get it. The agile columns do not actually represent workflow steps, but rather are buckets for status across all issue types in the Agile filter. If all issue types have the same workflow, you could map the columns to mimic the workflow steps, but they are not the same thing. In order to be able to move an issue from one column to another, the workflow for said issue must be fulfilled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2015

Yes, that's correct, the columns are collections of status. When you use simplified workflows, it flattens that into a 1:1 relationship. Each collection contains a single status, with the workflow containing only those status, and the workflow allows a move from any column/status to any other.

Rajeeb Dhar July 23, 2020

So does it mean that, if we add column, workflow will change accordingly for that board or columns will be only based on workflow defined at the Project level, can I have Workflow defined at board level?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2020

With simplified workflows, the workflow follows the board changes - each column is a step in the workflow.

Like Rajeeb Dhar likes this
Rajeeb Dhar July 23, 2020

Thanks Nic for the quick reply..

0 votes
Sarah Palumbo January 27, 2020

If I change the workflow associated with a project in an existing sprint will I have any unwanted consequences?

Suggest an answer