How do we add a ticket to a board using the Salesforce Connector that will not end up in the backlog

Matt Peterson February 4, 2021

We have tested that our Salesforce Connector is working but the ticket that was created is showing up in our backlog, not on the board. How do we get the ticket to be added to our queue of tickets instead of having to review the backlog?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hello @Matt Peterson 

Welcome to the community.

Is the project to which you are adding the issue a Classic project or a Next Gen project?

For Next Gen projects, there have been several posts in this community that discuss the lack of a feature in JIRA Automation for moving an issue from the Backlog to the Board. There is a backlog issue about that

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2037

That issue includes a link to the REST API document that indicates there's an endpoint that could be used to do it programmatically.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/api-group-backlog/#api-agile-1-0-backlog-issue-post

How can I tell if we are using a Next Gen project? Again, this is utilizing a "connector" with Salesforce and I'm not sure how much control we have over it.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

The navigation pane on the left will say at the bottom if the project is next gen.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/how-can-i-tell-if-im-in-a-classic-and-next-gen-project/

If you are not using a next gen project, then what is displayed on your Board view of your project is based on the status of the issue. In that case you would need to find a way to automatically change the status of the issue. That could be done using the Automation feature in JIRA after Salesforce Connector has finished creating the issue.

Yes, I am using a next gen project. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

For Next Gen projects, JIRA Automation doesn't support any function to automate moving issues from the backlog to the board.

I think your next step is to reach out to the Salesforce Connector support team to see if they can tell you if the Salesforce Connector is capable of utilizing the REST API endpoint I mentioned. If it is not, then you will need to look for other options. Maybe build your own code to programmatically find the new issues and use the API endpoint to move them. Maybe it can be done with Listener functionality within JIRA. Maybe there is an app that can be added to your environment that could help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events