How do i set up my system so that can i see what's due across multiple projects for a company?

Bearcat M_ Şándor April 28, 2019

I've been trying to get a good agile system setup and despite the number of tutorials and articles i've been through, i'm still not sure how to arrange my system in Jira (or any of the others i've tried for that matter). I just started using it the other day.

I am a web developer and web hosting company with multiple clients, and multiple websites.  I'm often working on multiple project at a time (a main build, and a few emergencies and bugs in a week) and i'd like to be able to have a clear view of my work week and what things are due across multiple clients. 

I"m seeing it this way (using a imaginary company Cool Cats as an example):

Project: a great website (www.coolcats.com)

Epic: Build the initial website

Story:  Set up a hero area for the main page

task: find a great graphic

task: insert wonderful text

-----

Project: a secondary website for cat sunglasses (www.coolglassescat.com)

Epic: Make store where cats can buy shades

Story: The glasses should look great at night

task: make sure they can wear them at night

task: so they can, so they can

------

So i often run into the following needs:

I have a status meeting with Cool Cats on Thursday and i want to see all work for them at once.

The company asks me to apply a new terms and conditions to their sites. Now i have one new issue that i want to apply to multiple sites at once in one company. Google makes a change to how SEO works and i now have an issue that applies to  multiple sites in multiple companies. How do i do those things?

So, is it better to set up the company as the project and the sites as epics?  Should i have the company as a category?   How would i list "Everything i need to do for Cool Cats" if the sites are broken up in projects?

Thanks all

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2019

Hey Bearcat,

I would create a project in JIRA for each company, e.g. project =CoolCats, and project = CoolGlassesCat.

Then I would create a board that has a filter for both projects - i.e. project in (CoolCats, CoolGlassesCat). That way you see all of the work you need to do on one board.

Then I would create either Quick Filters for each company to only show their cards so you can quickly see what work each company has independently. 

Or you could create different Swimlanes for each company. 

I hope that helps!

Suggest an answer