How do I turn off new tab?

Michael Foreman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2024

Whenever I select a an item (jira, confluence) from the "your apps" menu it opens in a new tab. This is driving me nuts, it is the dumbest UX. It is like the person who designed this never took a UX class in their life. If I wanted a new tab I would right click and select open in a new tab. I swear this was designed by a developer. How do I turn this off? Someone please help!

1 answer

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2024

Hi @Michael Foreman that's a browser specific setting isn't it?

I'm using Microsoft Edge, and if I go to Settings --> Default browser --> Internet Options --> Tabs --> Open links from other programs in and set it to "The current tab or window". When I select Confluence/Jira/Bitbucket/etc. they load within the current tab/window.

If I change that setting back to what I had it previously, "A new tab in the current window", when I select Confluence/Jira/Bitbucket/etc. they load within a new tab. 

Michael Foreman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

@ConnorI have tired this in a few browser and it still happens. And no other program I use does this. I use firefox and it is not set to open in a new tab. This is 100% an Atlassian thing. It may be a bug, but it is with the software. Thank you for trying. I really appreciate it. 

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

This is a strange one, I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. Interestingly, after I tested those settings yesterday, now the apps always open in the same tab/window for me even though I set the browser setting to open in a new tab. Sucks for me because I prefer the behavior of opening in a new tab :(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events