How do I stop Archived Projects from showing up in the Advanced Issue Search

Linda Rasmussen August 13, 2020

I'm trying to clean up Jira.  I have been archiving projects that are no longer needed in case the done issues need to be revisited.  The project list in the Advanced issue search still contains these projects even though you can't search the issues.  I need the clutter gone from view which is why I chose Archive.  I should now only be able to see these projects listed when I go to Archived projects, no where else.  Any ideas or do I need to report a bug?

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Linda Rasmussen August 24, 2020

Entered the Bug and this is the solution given by support:

It happens because those archived projects are still associated with permission schemes that let users browse issues.

What you can do to get it fixed:

1. Create a new permission scheme, let's call it "Archived projects".
  2. Make sure that the "Browse project" permission is not granted to any user, group, or project role.
  3. Associate the "Archived projects" permission scheme with the Archived projects.

The steps are available at this knowledge article: Managing project permissions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After following these steps (I had to restore an archived project to change permissions)  I am no unable to archive the project again.  Hopefully it is just a timing thing with indexing....  I reported it to support.  I will update if things work out.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2020

Hey Linda - thanks for posting the solution!

Linda Rasmussen August 26, 2020

Actually keep reading.  That is not the solution.  I was unable to archive the project again.  Support then discovered that you had to have "someone" with the Browse Projects Permission in order to Archive.  His solution was Site-Admins which meant that I was still stuck seeing all of them.  Next was a dummy group with no one it it, which then wouldn't allow me to see an issue even with a direct link.  Which leads to my further comment below.  He insists that the behavior is correct and claims that the pop-up actually says the exact opposite of what it does say so I am still trying to get him to actually report it as a bug.  Very aggravating.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2020

See if you can escalate the support ticket. 

Thanks, didn't notice that button before.  Escalated.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

Hey Linda,

I think I would go ahead and report it as a bug. I am not aware of any quick fixes for that. 

0 votes

So Support seems more interested in finding a crappy work around than just reporting it as a bug.  He is claiming that the Archived Project issues are supposed to be searchable so it's behaving as it is supposed to and not only via direct link.  Even claimed that that is what the pop-up says.  I have told him that it is the exact opposite of what the pop-up says:

Archive project?

The project along with its issues, components, attachments, and versions will be archived. Issues will be read-only and can be accessed via a direct link. Archived projects won’t appear in directories and their issues won’t appear in search.

Only Jira admins can restore the project.

So only time will tell I guess...

0 votes
Jira Guru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events