How do I show completed items in the Done column of the Agile board?

barbarat December 6, 2014

When I move completed items to the Done column in Work mode, they disappear from the board. How do I get them to stay in the Done column (without showing completed items in Plan mode)?

I tried to save the filter to include completed items and the closed items then show in the work mode, however I do not want the resolved/closed issues to show up in Plan mode.

5 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2014

What does your board filter say?  Does it definitely include the missing issues?  And do your columns include all the status available?

I ask because every time I've seen this question, the answer has been "our board filter says something like 'and not resolved issues'", or "the board does not have 'resolved' in a column"

barbarat December 6, 2014

Updated filter to see them in Done column filter = project = xyz AND issuetype in (Bug, Epic, Story, Task) AND resolution in (Unresolved, Fixed, "Won't Fix", Duplicate, Done) ORDER BY Rank ASC Plan mode shows the resolved/fixed items in the Backlog (which I don't need since I only want to see items that need to be moved into sprints ) Work mode correctly shows the Done, closed, verified tickets in the Done column

Like Phyllis Shumpert-Davis likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2014

Ok, I'm confused. Your question asks why issues vanish when you move them into the done column, but now you say that "Work mode correctly shows the Done, closed, verified tickets in the Done column" Which is it? Can you see them or not?

Alejandro Villamarin November 17, 2015

This helped a lot thanks, although is just awkward that this is no the default behaviour for the filter, otherwise the Done column is usless

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2015

I'm not sure what you're looking for from "default behaviour for the filter" here. Filters just find issues. Boards display and work with the results. In Scrum, it shows you what you've done during the sprint, in Kanban, it shows you stuff ready to be released. In both, you need the column to be able to drag things into it and see that they're done. I'm not sure what is "awkward" about that, or how it makes the "done column useless"?

Well, because the default filter I had for Scrum, when dragging issues to "Done", would make them disappear...making the "DONE" column useless.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2015

Then your filter is wrong. Change it to not exclude the resolved/done issues. Actually, it's not the default filter, to make it do that, you'd have to edit the filter to exclude status and/or resolutions. The default filter for a board never does that.

That's what I did. And I can guarantee you that this was the default Filter I had, never changed it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2015

Mmm, that suggests that the columns are wrong then, or possibly your workflow is broken. But this is drifting away from my question - what is "awkward" and why is the "done column useless"? (It's neither of those if you've used the default filter and board definition)

Nic, I've used the Default board, Default Workflow and Default filter. We started our first sprint, people finishes issues and moves them to Done. Then I go and see no tasks completed, I start asking people why tasks are not finished, they tell me they are...and I'm scratching my head, just to realize the Done Column is empty, a bit more investigating lead me to this post, which thankfully helped me to locate the issue and fix it. I was merely suggesting that Default "everything" for me didn’t work out of the box for me, since the Done column was empty (rendering it to being useless), if other people don't have this kind of behaviour with their Default settings, happy to hear that. I'm not saying JIRA is broken or anything like that, I'm super happy with, just pointing out that my Default filter was somehow "awkward". Happy JIRAing!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2015

Ah, ok. Sounds like there's something very odd in your setup then. But hey, as long as you can sort it out, we're all happy :-)

0 votes
Nadia Kotys April 11, 2019

Hi All!

I love playing in Jira!  I was having this problem as well in addition to some others and finally today created a filter that works to show "Closed" tickets in the Done column for 10 days.  My filter starts with project is not Empty AND Component as my organization has setup many projects in jira for one development team to work off of.  The reason for the separate project creation is for billing purposes.  Anyway, check out my filter below:

project is not EMPTY AND component = Software AND resolution = Unresolved OR status changed to closed after startOfDay(-10d) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Now the Done column is no longer useless for our team either! woot woot :)

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2014

If you exclude an issue (e.g. via limiting it to unresolved issues) in your board filter it won't show up anywhere. If you want issue to show up on a board (plan or work mode) it has to be returned by the filter query.

You can't have issues on your work board that are not included in filter --> they have to show up in your plan mode.

Why don't you just create a quick filter to filter out (visually) all of your resolved issues on your planning board?

0 votes
barbarat December 8, 2014

I think I know why some issues are showing in plan mode. They are under the Resolved state and need to be fully closed out. Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Kanban boards by default show issues that are in no Version or in an unreleased Version. If it's a Kanban board, and you want it to show, make sure it is not in a Released Version - or you can delete this feature from the specific board. 

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2014

Kanban boards don't have a plan mode...yet ;-)

Suggest an answer