How do I set up an automation to link the parent issue after subtask moved to standalone issue?

Deleted user March 25, 2021

When I manually use the "Convert to Issue" function on a subtask to break it off from its parent issue, I'd like the new standalone issue to automatically link the former parent issue as a "relates to" link. Note: our workflows are set up so that the subtask>standalone issue also moves the issue into a new workflow within the same project. How should I set up this specific automation? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

We don't trigger for when a subtask is converted. You can monitor when the parent link is changed using the field value changed trigger. 

However please note this isn't 100% reliable. One instance where I couldn't get it working is when you move a subtask to a different parent and then convert it to an issue (I'm not sure if this is common for you?). It also triggers the automation so if you often change the parent of a subtask you might want to add a condition to prevent the linking action.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 6.36.54 pm.png

• Use the field value changed trigger and monitor the parent link field
  • Then add the link issue action to link back to the parent
    • You'll issue you can use this smart value {{#changelog.parent}}{{toString}}{{/changelog.parent}} to find the previous parent issue

Hope that helps,

- John

Erin Quick-Laughlin October 13, 2022

@John Does {{#changelog.parent}}{{toString}}{{/changelog.parent}} still work as expected?   I can't seem to pickup the old parent this way.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 162015.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events