How do I see average velocity in jjira cloud

Sam Speight December 6, 2022

We have just migrated to jira cloud from on prem. I am confused why average velocity is not calculated and displayed automatically on the velocity chart. When will this be added?? It is a no brainer feature. Its absence is going to waste a heap of peoples time. 
Are there any plugins that will do this?

2 answers

3 votes
Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Hello @Sam Speight 

If there isn't such an ability, you can choose some add-ons from the Atlassian marketplace. For example, Time in Status for Jira Cloud allows generating the Average time report that shows the average time each team member has spent solving the issues. 

average time in jira.pngaverage time jira.png

Also, you can export the report to CSV or XLSX files.

This add-on is developed by my SaaSJet team. Please, let me know if you have any questions. 

Is that what you need or I misunderstood your question?

Sam Speight December 12, 2022

avg velocity.png
We were using average velocity as a tool to help us decide how much work we would commit to each sprint.. Here is a screenshot I dug up of the velocity report on our old, on prem jira instance. The "Average" no longer exists in cloud. I wasn't 100% sure if this was an add on we were using but it looks like the feature isn't available in cloud. 

Thanks for your response. 

Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

If it isn't available in the Jira Cloud directly, you may use the add-on I've mentioned above. It works for Jira Cloud and shows the average time spent for each issue in the sprint.

Hope it helps

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

Mmm, because it's a broken idea.  Velocity is velocity, it can change a lot. 

The (mean) average velocity of a team is not really that useful - velocity is there to inform your sprint planning based on what you've done recently, after you've improved whatever was not quite working in the last couple of them.  A mean doesn't tell you a lot.  Look at what you did weel and badly in the last few sprints, not look back over the improvements you have made (or not) over months or years.

It's only a useful feature for people who have not quite grasped what sprints are for.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events