How do I schedule a Rapid Board sprint when all devs are not interchangeable?

Brad Albrecht September 13, 2012

Currently, when building a sprint in the Rapid Board, I dont see a way to tell when I have over booked a particular dev.

I thought maybe I could use the Issues tab and build a query, but the sprint field only appears to be populated once I start the sprint. My queue of pending sprints dont seem to show.

Ideally, I would like to see a means to show the estimate stack per assigned individual before I start the sprint.

I am using time estimates currently, but I dont see the problem going away if I used points since my devs are not frequently interchangeable in my various subsystems.

1 answer

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

Hi Brad,

The easiest way is to use quick filters for assignees on the plan mode in the board. When you filter the list to one assignee the sprint footer will show you the total estimate assigned to that person so you can see if they are allocated correctly.

In the future we'd like to build an automatic quickfilter that allows you to select from the assignees that are on the board but for now defining these filters is manual.

Thanks,
Shaun

Brad Albrecht September 13, 2012

This only works for top level issues. The bigger problem is with sub tasks and having to assign parts across the team to get the story done. Anything currently on the Plan view only deals with top level issues/stories.

Having a bigger dev team with different areas of ownership makes it really hard to use Rapid Board to get a good view of what a sprint will look like on the Work view before kicking it off.

Mark DeMichele August 6, 2014

I'm struggling with the same issue. Recently, we started to embrace tasks, but now I have no way to determine if a particular developer is being overloaded for the sprint based on the planning board when I'm planning the sprint. If you figure anything out, please post it. I'll do the same.

Suggest an answer