How do I rollback from Greenhopper 6.0.4 to my previously installed version?

Badgers2000 October 3, 2012

I unintentionally upgraded greenhopper in production rather than in our test environment. How can I rollback without doing any damage to the data.

7 answers

0 votes

I pushed forward with the 6.0.4 upgrade. I haven't had any problems at this point. If no problems crop up we will not need to rollback.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

Do you have a database backup? Or an earlier XML backup before the upgrade? Unfortunately, downgrading GreenHopper to lower versions will have adverse effects are database table definitions have changes.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

But, is GreenHopper giving any errors, are there any issues due to which you need a rollback?

0 votes
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

GreenHopper 5.10.5 was one of the last releases of GreenHopper 5.x, so the differences (featurewise) to the current version are not that big. There was even a thread going on here where someone successfully downgraded from 6.0.1 to 5.10.x so it might be easy.

Anyway, as Norman pointed out in the comments above I would strongly suggest to try this on a test environment. You may want to consider duplicating your JIRA instance just for this purpose.

The process of downgrade would than be pretty easy:

1. downlowd your desired GreenHopper Verion in the marketplace to your personal computer
  2. Uninstall GreenHopper completely via the UPM (no worrys, settings are saved)
  3. install your downloaded copy of the older version via the "upload plugin) menu in the UPM

As stated above this might just work out. If you used new features like the "GreenHopper simplified Workflow" (stuff that changes other stuff deep within the JIRA configuration) I'm not sure how this would behave after the downgrade. In an ideal world (must be a parallel universe or so) you than would have to manually re-modify your workflow an all is fine. Not completely shure about this though...

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

Given the little bit of what I know about the new features in GH 6 verses GH 5, I would not even attempt to downgrade without a test environment. I would contact Atlassian support if you really need to downgrade. I would be more concerned about losing data, if you need to recover Jira from backups.

I would probably spend my time convincing your bosses to leaving things alone.

0 votes

GreenHopper Run History

GreenHopper v5.10.5.1 (e6c4c0932fc2) started at 23 Jul 2012 01:15

*GreenHopper v6.0.4 (6756d493ba04) started at 03 Oct 2012 01:14

I do not have a test system on standby to test the rollback

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2012

What versio is in production? Do you have a place to test out the downgrade before doing it on production?

Suggest an answer