How do I register from the same email address on 2 different Jira Software accounts

Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

I have a Jira Software access in 2 different accounts for 2 different organizations, for example:

1. abc.atlassian.net using the email address iamuser@mycompany1.com
  2. xyz.atlassian.net using the email address iamuser@mycompany2.com

Now I want to change my email address to iamuser@mycompany1.com for my 2nd account at xyz.atlassian.net. But when I try to change that, Atlassian sends me an email reading:

<<<<<

Hi <user>,
Your email change request could not be processed because iamuser@mycompany1.com is already associated with another Atlassian account.
Log in to view your account. If you've forgotten your password you can reset it here
If you didn't request this change you can disregard this email.
Cheers,
The Atlassians

>>>>>

This is a problem because I want to switch my email address for xyz.atlassian.net as my current email address is no longer valid. But Atlassian is not allowing me to do that.

How can this be solved so that I am able to register via or change to the same email address for Jira Software with different organizations?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2021

You cannot do this.

Most Atlassian Cloud systems use the same user directory system - Atlassian accounts.  (Others use either Google accounts or Atlassian Access, which are very different systems)

Each indvidual Cloud system (that uses Atlassian accounts) does not have a separate account for a user.  It imports the Atlassian account a user owns.

As an example, I obviously have an Atlassian account.  It has access to several systems, owned by different organisations.  I do not have four accounts for the four organisations, I've got one single Atlassian account, which has been granted access by them to their systems.

The important bit on top of that - Atlassian accounts are uniquely identified by the email address.  You can't have two email addresses for the same account.

So, to do:

You will have to create a second Atlassian account, and use the two accounts separately to access the two systems.

Or, you could use a single account, and hence a single email address, to access both systems.

Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2021

Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !

I understand that no two accounts can have the same email address. I thought that every email address account is created in the organization's cloud system only. But that is created globally in a common directory explains the behaviour :-)

But I still need a solution for the use case I presented in the ticket, which is to change my email address at xyz.atlassian.net

This is what I could think of:

1. At xyz.atlassian.net, I had access to 5 Jira projects from the account iamuser@mycompany2.com
  2. I use my email address iamuser@mycompany1.com to gain access to the cloud at xyz.atlassian.net
  3. Then I request access to those 5 Jira projects from this new account - iamuser@mycompany1.com, and remove access for iamuser@mycompany1.com
  4. Delete the access from xyz.atlassian.net for iamuser@mycompany2.com
  5. After the above steps, I will have:
    2. xyz.atlassian.net using the email address iamuser@mycompany1.com
  6. QUESTION:
    1. if I delete access for user iamuser@mycompany2.com from xyz.atlassian.net, will it also delete all the comments or Jira tickets that were created on any of those 5 projects by this user? I believe not.
    2. If the user decides to delete his Atlassian account, does it also delete all Jira tickets or comments this user may have created on different organization clouds to which this user had access to? I believe not.

Thank you again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

> I thought that every email address account is created in the organization's cloud system only

Er, that makes no sense.  If I were to send an email to an email address, how would the computers know which one of the non-unique emails I actually wanted to send to?  

The question here is what you want to end up with - a single Atlassian account with access to both sets of systems?  Or separate accounts with different access (and hence different emails)?

Deleting access to a system does not delete the account or the historical data.  Deleting the account completely can make a bit of an ugly mess of the history, but doesn't affect created issue data.

Like Abhay Gupta likes this
0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2021

Hi @Abhay Gupta ,

Please have a look at the following Knowledge Base article: Change Atlassian account email address

Thanks to accept this answer if it provides your the necessary info.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events