How do I query for siblings of issues?

Magnus Edlund August 15, 2019

I would like to create a list with issues and their siblings. How do I write the query?
I have tried PARENT=issueID, but I can't get it to work.

I would like some thing similar to:

Parent_Issue-XYZ

Child_issue-AAA
 Child_issue-BBB
 Child_issue-CCC

Parent_Issue-KLM

Child_Issue-EEE
 Child_Issue-FFF

4 answers

1 vote
David Ciran January 12, 2024

Hi @Magnus Edlund,

If you are fine with a marketplace app, we have created an app to view your sibling issues and their description without loading the entire parent nor using the filter.

It is really a straight forward app which adds a new Other subtasks panel with descriptions.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Subtasks Navigation for Jira

Description of all siblings screenshot.png

0 votes
Pierre Ibrahim August 30, 2023

Hi @Magnus Edlund ,

If you have the scriptrunner plugin, you can do something like this:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuekey = {{your ticket's parent key}}")

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

It looks like you want to search EPIC with their child stories and their child sub tasks. 

You can use following query to get the results by using the plugin : JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports

after installing the above plugin , please use following query it will return you all parents with their child's.

issue in allIssuesInEpic(your parent issue id's which is epic id)
for example

issue in allIssuesInEpic(epic-12, epic-13)

it will return all issues belongs to epic id 12 and 13

you can find more documentation here

https://jqlsearchextensions.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SEARCH/pages/30497099/JQL+Reference+Server#JQLReference(Server)-AllIssuesInEpic(jql-queryorissuekey)

0 votes
Michael Kuhl {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2019

Hi @Magnus Edlund - The parent field is for sub-tasks of an issue.  If the Parent_Issue-XYZ is an Epic issue type and the children are part of that Epic then you would use the Epic Link field.  If they are related by a standard Issue Link then you would use LinkedIssues().  

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer