How do I project delivery date for a single release based on current estimates?

Daniel Vaca April 12, 2021

I tried doing a simple prototype using Roadmaps, but I can't get it to work. Here's what I did:

1. Create Scrum Project.
2. Create Release 1.0 start today (4/12) and ends one month from today (5/12).
3. Create 4 epics each with 40 hrs (1 week) estimate, assigned to 1 user, with fix version 1.0.
4. If I go to Roadmap I see all 4 epics listed but the calendar is empty.

Roadmap.JPG

How do I get this Roadmap to automatically show the estimates for each epic (one after the other since they all have the same assignee) so I can compare the projected delivery based on estimates vs Release's original expected delivery date?

2 answers

0 votes
Baylor Peak February 25, 2022

I'm also trying to do the exact same thing please. I have original estimates for all my stories/tasks and I want to be able to project them on a timeline to see if we can make a certain date, etc....

Is this something Jira doesn't do automatically?

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Daniel Vaca,

I see you shared a screenshot of the basic roadmap in Jira. And although it looks nice, it does not offer the advanced functionality you seem to be hoping for.

The timelines are based on start / due dates of your issues and you set those manually. You can do that either by filling out those fields on your issues or by clicking on the roadmap itself, where you will be able to drag and drop to adjust those projected timelines.

As of now, you can only add those timelines to Epics, not on the issues belonging to those epics. So that means the timelines for tasks and subtasks cannot be represented graphically. Those are all things on the roadmap (pun not intended), but not available yet.

The more advanced functionality you are hoping for is available in advanced roadmaps, a tool included in the premium plan.  

Daniel Vaca April 12, 2021

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks for the response. But I'm having a similar issue with advanced roadmaps. 

If I create a plan I see the epics, but the advanced roadmaps calendar is still empty.

advanced-roadmap-1.JPG

If I enter the start and end dates manually then I can get the calendar to look they way I would expect. But each of the epics already has an estimate and they are all assigned to the same user. Isn't there a way to automate this?

advanced-roadmap-2.JPG

Like Baylor Peak likes this

Suggest an answer