How do I modify the workflow of a project?

Oz DiGennaro December 29, 2013

We have an existing, new project. I have project administrator role.

Under Project / Administer / Workflow, I see a description of our default workflow, but no Edit button.

I need to edit the workflow.

Oz

4 answers

3 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2013

You need "System Administrator" to edit or copy workflows except for editing via JIRA Agile which allows some simple editing without SysAdmin.

With Sys Admin, select Issues/Workflows from the main menu, see the default version (no Edit option) and do a Operation/Copy, rename accordingly.

Create a new Schema that associates the desired issues to the new workflow.

Create the states you like now as you'll be limited later

Associate the project you're interested in with the new Schema

Fine tune the transitions as desired. (limited ability to edit states)

mallikarjuna_jalageri June 26, 2019

This helps, Thanks Mike.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2013

You cannot edit the default workflow in Jira.

Create a copy of the default workflow, put it into a new workflow scheme, and associate your project(s) with the new workflow scheme. You'll then have the option to edit the workflow (bear in mind that editing of active workflows is limited)

0 votes
Oz DiGennaro February 3, 2014

Thanks. That was the help I needed.

0 votes
Oz DiGennaro December 29, 2013

Great. That's sounds right. I'm working on getting the permissions I need above "Project Administrator"

Thanks.

Suggest an answer