How do I manually upgrade from JIRA 7.X to newer in linux using tar.gz?

Jan Markowski December 9, 2017

From Upgrading JIRA Applications , I'd like to do a low (not critical) upgrade of our Linux 7.1.10 JIRA standalone instance to the latest JIRA 7.6.1.

From the grid, the only upgrade option is "Upgrading JIRA using the installer". 

Where do I find the instructions for manually upgrading a standalone JIRA 7.X instance in Linux? Otherwise, what's the point of downloading the tar.gz?

We've always been upgrading using 7.X (and quite frankly prefer the manual control of this process).

Thanks, 

Jan

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Hi Jan,

You can use either the Installer method or Manual method, according to the grid. The instructions linked on the grid are appropriate for your Jira version:

It does require you to download the compressed zip or tar.gz archive, because you still need the upgraded versions of the files for Jira. The difference with manual upgrade is that you are essentially installing a new Jira instance and then importing the data from your old instance.

I hope this clarifies things for you. I would recommend reading thoroughly over the manual upgrade instructions to make sure all the steps are clear before proceeding.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Shannon

Mustafa Yalniz October 9, 2018

Hi

I see that when we have to do a manual install we need following.

- Empty database and xml import

Is it possible to connect to the existing database and skip xml export/import

We actually aim to do a Zero Downtime Upgrade of our cluster with tar.gz and trying to understand if xml import and empty database is a must?

Thanks,

Mustafa 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2018

Mustafa,

Jan is on a standalone instance, and asked for the manual upgrade steps since she's not able to upgrade using the installer.

If you have Jira Data Center on a cluster, then you can do Zero Downtime Upgrades.

Have a look below:

If you have any issues with your upgrade of Data Center then I would recommend that you create a new question so we can help you with that specifically.

Regards,

Shannon

Mustafa Yalniz October 10, 2018

Hi Shannon,

I think there is a need for clarification. In the first link there is this line in checklist.

- Ensure you have the installer for your intended version

In the second link it is not mentioning anything about tar.gz and explain only about using installer. So nothing documented about tar.gz option of installation.

That is why I understand if we have to execute Zero Downtime Upgrade of Data Center setup, we should use installer and we cannot use tar.gz

Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Mustafa

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2018

Hi Mustafa,

It's not possible to complete a Zero Downtime Upgrade with the .tar.gz file. If you wish for Zero Downtime Upgrade, then you definitely need to use the installer file, as it is a requirement.

Let me know if you have any further questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Mustafa Yalniz October 12, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for clarification. This is what I understood.

But can I ask another question? 

If we absolutely need tar.gz to upgrade, do we have to use xml data export and then use fresh empty db with setup screen later to import the xml data?

Or we can just use the same db with extracted installation from tar.gz to start against that existing db and schema update happens when jira started?

Kind regards,

Mustafa

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2018

Mustafa,

I wouldn't recommend using the same database, but if you want to avoid the XML import step, you can try the following:

• Create a copy of your existing database.
  • Connect new Jira instance to this database.
  • Start Jira up, and it should update the data on that database.

Don't use your existing database because you'll have difficulty rolling back if there are issues.

Keep in mind that this will not be a zero downtime upgrade, as some downtime will be necessary to migrate your data.

Regards,

Shannon

Mustafa Yalniz October 15, 2018

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for this information. 

Kind regards

Mustafa

selena mir April 24, 2020

@Shannon S , hello.
Could you please explain how to roll back?
Is it possible to downgrade database if I want to switch to older instance?
Downgrade from Jira 8.8 to Jira 7.0.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Elena.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2020

Hello Elena,

In order to roll back a Jira upgrade, follow the procedure below:

If you have any trouble, could you please raise a new question in the Jira collection? I want to make sure we see your replies, in case you get stuck.

Thank you!

Shannon

Suggest an answer