How do I import a workflow that I have exported?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2018

I knew my Jira server was going to be refreshed with prod data  so I exported a workflow I was working on.  How do I import it back in?  Something I can do very easily in SharePoint I can't seem to find the upload button, it only lets me pick workflows from the store.

1 answer

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2018

Hi @Pete P

You need to be logged in with administrator privileges and go to this page for server

<yourhost>/secure/admin/workflows/ListWorkflows.jspa

In the top right hand corner you should see an option for Import and from there you can select to either import a workflow or an XML.

import.JPG

You will find  documentation on workflow imports at Server https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-and-exporting-issue-workflows-844500778.html

For cloud the process is slightly different and is documented at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-and-deleting-an-issue-workflow-844500765.html

here you go to the page 

<yourhost>/secure/admin/workflows/ListWorkflows.jspa where you have the option to import a workflow but only from the Marketplace.  This means that the workaround is to publish your workflows to the Marketplace and import them from there. Details are provided in the link above.

It would be nice if Atlassian provided the same import ability in Cloud as in Server but at present (v7.8.1) this is not the case.

Phill

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2018

Awesome!  Thanks for quick reply.

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2018

I actually am just getting to test and don't see the option to import on my page.  Do I need to be a global admin ?  

Capture.PNG

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2018

Hi Pete 

Could you confirm if you are working on the Atlassian Cloud or an On Premises version of Jira? 

If it is a cloud version it will have something like *.atlassian.cloud or *.atlassian.net in the URL. 

As my answer to your question will be different depending on the version.

Regards

Phill

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2018

We have server version, not cloud.   my URL is ending in .org/jira/

Shawn Stern May 29, 2018

The only options in the top right corner that I see are "Add Workflow" and "Import from Marketplace"?!?  Did something change so that you can no longer import workflows from local files?

David Aleu September 24, 2018

Same here, in Cloud version you can export but then not import? what's the point?

Suggest an answer