Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I grant release permissions to a non-adminstrator role.

I can't find any option for this.  My team cannot manage releases unless they're an admin.  This is ridiculous, SURELY Atlassian have a setting for this somewhere that I'm missing....?

11 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Mar 24, 2020

Hi Allan,

You must be a Project Administrator to do a release on a board. But you don't have to be a Jira Systems Administrator. 

Why on earth do we not have the ability to grant this permission without granting project administrator status. It should be its own setting.

Ridiculous product development decisions.

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader Mar 25, 2020

Well, I think it's an appropriate place to put something that allows cards to be removed from boards and "archived" to an effect. But curious as to where you think it would be appropriate. Why would an entire role be created just do a release on a board? Who would you imagine doing that who wouldn't already be a project administrator.

Not trying to be argumentative - just interested in the thought process. 

Managing entire project setting and performing release is totally different thing. Imagine release task that after resolving the a release on a board, the person would create tag in their repository (i.e. release on a board is part of release flow), but who is not necessary to have modifying the all Jira setting in the project.

You should be aware of there are the same demands - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Permissions-for-Release/qaq-p/596027

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader May 12, 2020

Thanks for the insight.  :-)

@John Funk  - having the ability to create custom roles and assign granular permissions is essential to a "minimum necessary privilege" security posture.  Granting the ability for my release manager to modify any project settings is contrary to good security policy.

I'm seriously considering alternatives to JIRA (and the entire Atlasian stack) due to the awful user/role/permission capabilities of this tool.

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader Aug 12, 2021

You don't have to grant the Project Administrator role to everything in your Permission Scheme. Just modify the Permission scheme to grant permissions to roles other than Project Administrator. 

i find myself on this page in 2022, with the exact same feedback as those above. A project administrator should be able to grant access to devs etc to determine releases as they see fit. This is a shortfall of the tool, and a large inconvenience to the team managed project model

I have just encountered the same problem and found this chat. It is a MUST that the release rights can be given to the developers independently of the project administrator, wherever. Is there an initiative to make this possible?

Atlassian takes the Oprah approach.

YOU GET PROJECT ADMIN RIGHTS

I guess nobody at Atlassian has heard of the principle of least privilege.  

We're struggling with this as well.  From a security standpoint, it is frankly unacceptable that these permissions are tied to being a Project administrator.

I also find myself on this page in 2022 and I agree there should at least be an option in the scheme to give another role the ability to do this.

0 votes
Jason Lee I'm New Here Jan 31, 2023

My company has same problem. This is very unconmfortable. There are working projects over 50. This tool makes us to assign some managers to register version names...  :(

Agreed this is still a big problem for us.

We use one project for app environment consisting of more then 50 app while bussines requirements can go through multiple apps. We have sometimes up to 20 releases in month.

Every project member must be able to start its own release. So with the current limited possibilities of the JIRA, everyone must be a project admin...

We are not happy about it. Believe me.

0 votes

I have just encountered the same problem and found this chat. It is a MUST that the release rights can be given to the developers independently of the project administrator, wherever. Is there an initiative to make this possible?

i have no obligation but to add "+1" for these features,

we are supported by external and can't give them project admin access just to add the release version. 

we need separate permission attribute for release version.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events