How do I grant release permissions to a non-adminstrator role.

Allan Smith March 24, 2020

I can't find any option for this.  My team cannot manage releases unless they're an admin.  This is ridiculous, SURELY Atlassian have a setting for this somewhere that I'm missing....?

16 answers

14 votes
Andy Badke August 5, 2022

i find myself on this page in 2022, with the exact same feedback as those above. A project administrator should be able to grant access to devs etc to determine releases as they see fit. This is a shortfall of the tool, and a large inconvenience to the team managed project model

Inna S July 18, 2023

One year later.

one of the product managers asked to have permission for creating releases in his group project. Cited he has been doing this in our previous system for years.

Yep, moving to Jira feels like a downgrade on every single aspect.

George Turnbull July 18, 2023

We've given up, and broadly assigned limited Project Admin and Resolve Issues permissions to all teammembers, POs and SMs

8 votes
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2022

Atlassian takes the Oprah approach.

YOU GET PROJECT ADMIN RIGHTS

I guess nobody at Atlassian has heard of the principle of least privilege.  

Pisit _King_ Tangkoblarp February 20, 2023

voted!

already 744 votes and 287 watches, how many will jira team consider this feature and move from the GATHERING INTEREST state?

Marco Rivera May 11, 2023

voted!

3 votes
Thierry Bosshart August 17, 2022

I have just encountered the same problem and found this chat. It is a MUST that the release rights can be given to the developers independently of the project administrator, wherever. Is there an initiative to make this possible?

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2020

Hi Allan,

You must be a Project Administrator to do a release on a board. But you don't have to be a Jira Systems Administrator. 

Allan Smith March 24, 2020

Why on earth do we not have the ability to grant this permission without granting project administrator status. It should be its own setting.

Ridiculous product development decisions.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2020

Well, I think it's an appropriate place to put something that allows cards to be removed from boards and "archived" to an effect. But curious as to where you think it would be appropriate. Why would an entire role be created just do a release on a board? Who would you imagine doing that who wouldn't already be a project administrator.

Not trying to be argumentative - just interested in the thought process. 

Tatsuya Fukui May 12, 2020

Managing entire project setting and performing release is totally different thing. Imagine release task that after resolving the a release on a board, the person would create tag in their repository (i.e. release on a board is part of release flow), but who is not necessary to have modifying the all Jira setting in the project.

You should be aware of there are the same demands - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Jira-Permissions-for-Release/qaq-p/596027

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

Thanks for the insight.  :-)

Larry Hector August 12, 2021

@John Funk  - having the ability to create custom roles and assign granular permissions is essential to a "minimum necessary privilege" security posture.  Granting the ability for my release manager to modify any project settings is contrary to good security policy.

I'm seriously considering alternatives to JIRA (and the entire Atlasian stack) due to the awful user/role/permission capabilities of this tool.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

You don't have to grant the Project Administrator role to everything in your Permission Scheme. Just modify the Permission scheme to grant permissions to roles other than Project Administrator. 

David Fallah February 23, 2023

Got to admit I thought it was a mistake in our company's runbook to reach out to our PO for "admin" privileges on our JIRA board to create a release - I googled assuming it was possible to grant a user some sort of "Manage release" permissions without granting literally every administrative role for the project (which I don't want, and shouldn't have).

This was the top result on Google when I made that search.

Like # people like this
Jamie Butterworth July 12, 2023

@Allan Smith @John Funk do you guys want to settle this in the ring? 

Like Allan Smith likes this
Inna S July 18, 2023

@John Funk ,

Just checked and could not find the way to have a separate 'manage versions' permission.

Per Atlassian docs this still requires either Jira Admin or Project Admin permission:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/how-do-jira-permissions-work/

George Turnbull July 18, 2023

Correct- managing releases requires, at a minimum, Project Admin and Resolve Issues permissions

2 votes
Nathan Vergin October 26, 2022

We're struggling with this as well.  From a security standpoint, it is frankly unacceptable that these permissions are tied to being a Project administrator.

1 vote
Jason Lee January 31, 2023

My company has same problem. This is very unconmfortable. There are working projects over 50. This tool makes us to assign some managers to register version names...  :(

1 vote
Martin Matloha January 4, 2023

We use one project for app environment consisting of more then 50 app while bussines requirements can go through multiple apps. We have sometimes up to 20 releases in month.

Every project member must be able to start its own release. So with the current limited possibilities of the JIRA, everyone must be a project admin...

We are not happy about it. Believe me.

Inna S July 18, 2023

@Martin Matloha  How do you manage at the end? 

1 vote
Thierry Bosshart August 17, 2022

I have just encountered the same problem and found this chat. It is a MUST that the release rights can be given to the developers independently of the project administrator, wherever. Is there an initiative to make this possible?

Kumaran Krishnan January 18, 2023

i have no obligation but to add "+1" for these features,

we are supported by external and can't give them project admin access just to add the release version. 

we need separate permission attribute for release version.

1 vote
Jeremy Burton August 15, 2022

I also find myself on this page in 2022 and I agree there should at least be an option in the scheme to give another role the ability to do this.

0 votes
Dustin Alcock July 3, 2023

Same issue as others on here who want a secure, least privileged, environment.  We NEED (not want), the ability to have true granular control over permissions. Someone should NOT have to be an admin of an entire project in order to create releases. This also allows them to do many other things within the project settings, including adding new users to the project. We have a strict access request process to protect data that Jira isn't allowing us to abide by due to this issue.

0 votes
George Turnbull June 16, 2023

The original Answer is only partially correct (at least for Data Center). Until Atlassian deigns to add this as a stand-alone permission, you need the following permissions on your project to fully manage Releases & Versions:

1. You must have the Administer Projects permission (with or without extended project administration). NOTE: This permission alone allows you to CREATE a Release AND add issues from the backlog to a version. It DOES NOT allow you to add an issue to a version in a Detail screen (neither the board Issue Detail View, the Edit dialog nor the Detail screen)

2. You must have the Resolve Issues permission. This will enable you to add an issue to a Version using the board Issue Detail View, the Edit dialog and the Detail screen.

For us this was critical as we often add issues after they are In Progress (no longer in the backlog.

Hope this helps clarify this rather confusing problem.

0 votes
guillermo June 15, 2023

Indeed, I upvote the need to be able to assign users to add and complete releases without having to make them project administrators. I spend 30 precious minutes trying to figure it out to no avail and yet when you search it says is 'resolved'. I was so excited :( ... 

0 votes
LAL June 9, 2023

Seems like the simplest solution for access and rights problems is to grant admin rights to everyone and just fix the mistakes after.

I hope our future admin army does not figure out the delete button.

0 votes
Pisit _King_ Tangkoblarp February 20, 2023

[JRACLOUD-34015] Separate Project permissions for Version Management - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products. 

voted!

already 744 votes and 287 watches, how many will jira team consider this feature and move from the GATHERING INTEREST state?

0 votes
Allan Smith January 4, 2023

Agreed this is still a big problem for us.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events