How do I find open-subtasks (all are striked through): "Sprint cannot be completed ..."

Arjon Buikstra October 16, 2014

When I try to close a sprint from September an info-box pops up with this message:

"Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete sub-tasks on the following issues:". The issue itself is marked as 'Done' (is striked through and has a resolution), it contains 19 sub-tasks which are all striked through and have a resolution. The only interesting thing about the sub-tasks is that two sub-tasks were marked as 'Rejected' , they do have a filled Resolution field and they are striked through.

All issues, both the story and the sub-tasks, are in the rightmost 'Done' column on our Agile board.

How do I find out which sub-tasks are blocking me from completing the sprint?

The following is the result for 'sprint in (106)' with anonymized names and issues. ANON-4367 is blocking the sprint completion.

Knipsel.PNG

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Somehow I was pushed into the right direction, thank you @Ollie!

It turned out the two sub-tasks with Status 'Rejected' were not shown on the Plan-mode on the sprint board. Although the error is "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete sub-tasks on the following issues" that is not the actual problem. All sub-tasks may be complete, but just not showing up on the sprint board.

Mapping 'Rejected' and 'Deleted' to the Done column fixed the issue and allows the sprint to be closed.

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2014

First of all, please check your Agile Board columns and subtasks status matching set  

Only Done column matching Status are considered finished subtasks 

Second, you can use the following query unfinished subtasks  

For example:sprint in openSprints() and project = XXX and status != closed

0 votes

I actually would love to know if any people outside of the project in the same JIRA latched an issue to my stories (it happens sometimes, and blocks the sprint. Super annoying that sprints can not be protected from other projects). Also, we don't use the 'closed' status. We have a Done status (with resolution).

I attached the list of issues that pops up for the simple JQL 'sprint in (106)', all seem to have resolutions and are done.

Knipsel.PNG

Suggest an answer