How do I filter on a GreenHopper sprint?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

With the "new" GreenHopper boards, the old project 'Sprint' numbers no longer appear to be used. Rather there is some other place the Sprint number is kept.

1. How do I filter on the real 'Sprint' value.

2. How do I get the "classic" gadgets to work with the new boards?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christopher Lohman November 7, 2012

If I click on an Agile board, go to report, and choose my iteration, then up in the address bar of my browser it shows the sprint id. The URL looks like this: /secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&view=reporting&chart=burndownChart&sprint=3

In my issue filter, if I filter on "sprint = 3", then it shows me everything related to that iteration. I then save that filter and use it to see issues, only for that sprint, in gadgets on my dashboard.

Does that help?

Most of my classic gadgets don't work. I think the only one that does is the Days Remaining.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2012

We are currently working on Sprint 22. When I follow the directions above, this is the URL I see. Note the "sprint=23" even though we haven't created or started Sprint 23.

https://jira.whipplehill.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=6&view=reporting&chart=burndownChart&sprint=23

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2012

We are currently working on Sprint 22. When I follow the directions above, this is the URL I see. Note the "sprint=23" even though we haven't created or started Sprint 23.

.../secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=6&view=reporting&chart=burndownChart&sprint=23

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2012

Aahhh......

OK. I an knee-deep in something else right now, but will later try a filter for "sprint=23" to see if it gets me my "real" Sprint 22. Orwellian.

Christopher Lohman November 7, 2012

In our environment, the names of our sprints have no relation to the sprint ID at all. We simply "call" it sprint xx. I can only imagine that perhaps this is the case in your instance. The name of the sprint is a label, which doesn't need to match the ID.

2 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

Hi George,

We have a story in the product backlog to make it easier to use JQL to search for sprints. At the moment you can use queries like "sprint in openSprints()" or "sprint in closedSprints()" but if you wish to filter to specific sprints you need ot use the sprint ID.

You can get the ID use the various mechanisms discussed at GHS-4949

Thanks,
Shaun

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

So, that raises some questions:

1. How do I find the 'Sprint ID'?

2. How do I construct a query, since 'Sprint ID' Does not appear to be a choice?

3. And this is at the heart of it, How do I get the "GreenHopper Classic Agile Gadget" working again? We found this very valuable until it stopped working after the GreenHopper improvements.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012

Please check out the discussion in GHS-4949 (linked above), a variety of ways to find the sprint ID are discussed. The field is called just "Sprint", not "Sprint ID".

To get the Agile Gadget working you'd need to put each issue in a fix version then use a context to select the issues you're looking for.

Thanks,
Shaun

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2012

I am still confused by the contents of the field.

We recently have had several stories that did not get completed in a Sprint or two, and have been pushed to the next Sprint. The Sprint field doesn't show the current Sprint for the story, but rather, appears to show all of the Sprints the Story has been in, including the current Sprint.

This doesn't seem right.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2012

The field contains the id for all of the sprints that the issue has ever been part of.

The id of a sprint is an internal identifier, it has absolutely no relation to the name of the sprint (even if the name is something like "Sprint 2").

Thanks,
Shaun

Lisa Marie Lamb February 7, 2013

OpenSprints() isn't working in our Dashboard gadgets since I upgraded my GreenHopper to 6.1.3.1 with JIRA 5.1.1 - ideas anyone?

1 vote
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013

See this page for help on searching for issues in a sprint using JQL:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Greenhopper%3A+How+to+search+for+a+Sprint+using+JQL

Cheers,

Pelle

1 vote
P December 12, 2012

I've read through the comments on GHS-4949, but I still don't have a way to find the sprint ID for a sprint that has not been started yet.

Before I start a sprint, I have to do capacity planning. In doing so I need to determine what each individual team member's load for the sprint is by running query such as:

project = X and assignee = Y and sprint = ???

I need the sprint id BEFORE I start the sprint, it's useless to me after the sprint has been started. This is such a glaring gap in the latest version of Greenhopper (that total lack of support for individual load/capacity planning during sprint planning) that it's causing me to consider dumping Jira altogether and to move back to my old system.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2012

Unfortunately that's not possible because future sprints are currently just ranked items in the backlog (i.e they bottom marker of the sprint is just a position in the backlog like an issue, they don't 'own' the issues above them).

We plan on changing this approach in the future, however more specifically for your base we plan on implementing a view of the work assigned to each user in the header of the future sprint.

We are constantly collecting information about how our users are doing Agile, can I ask why you are pre allocating work to individuals rather than allowing the team to self organise?

Thanks,
Shaun

P December 12, 2012

You may ask, but your assumption that we are allocating is incorrect. The team will still "self-organize" by signing up for the work that goes into the sprint.

We use relative story points for estimating stories, but remaining time for tracking the tasks that make up a story in a sprint.

The team collectively does all task breakdowns and task estimations up-front for each sprint during the planning phase. After this, any team member can still sign up for any story, but they do so at the start of the sprint in order to ensure that the very complex interdependencies we have in a very complicated system are built in to the sprint planning.

It makes no sense (for our team at least) to allocate X amount of work at the start of the sprint without any consideration for who does what and for how long. If these things are not considered during sprint planning, you may very well end up allocating work to the sprint that is dependent on a single resource or critical component - thereby effectively eliminating the team’s ability to complete anything in parallel during the sprint.

This is a common practice for a lot of sprint teams.

Dirk Roscher February 18, 2013

Totally agree with Pierre's view!

@Shaun: Can you make any information when the feature you described will be released?

Thanks

0 votes
Mauricio Gracia July 2, 2014

project = X AND Sprint in openSprints()

Taken from

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/116421/jira-filter-by-sprint

0 votes
Nikhil Joshi September 9, 2013

@Shaun: Even I am facing the same challenge. We need a meachanism to query the future sprints on different boards to get a consolidated future backlog. At present, the sprint ID's are only associated for active sprints, how can I pull out the issues in a particular board's future sprint on some different page using a jql?

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2013

Hi Nikhil,

In JIRA Agile(Greenhopper) 6.3 you can use JQL to query for issues in upcoming sprints:)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+6.3+Release+Notes

0 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013

See this page for help on searching for issues in a sprint using JQL:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Greenhopper%3A+How+to+search+for+a+Sprint+using+JQL

Cheers,

Pelle

Suggest an answer