How do I do release planning in GreenHopper 6?

Chris Tooley August 13, 2012

With GreenHopper 5.10 we use the Planning Board versions to do Release Planning. Sprints are part of a Release and based on velocity our Product Owner and Business Analysts are ability to pre-plan releases. With GreenHopper 6 these go away and we're trying to get a feel for the way it's envisioned that release planning is done.

8 answers

2 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2012
0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

I think there is a difference between an answer you were hoping for and an actual good answer!

0 votes
Chris Tooley October 24, 2012

I keep getting emails from Atlassian urging me to accept an answer or close the question, but I haven't gotten a good answer.

0 votes
Deleted user October 17, 2012

We've begrudgingly accepted the idea that we will need to use the classic board for release planning. The biggest downside of course is the lack of drag and drop functionality which is what makes the rapid boards so much better.

Ideally, we would like to have a "release" container or grouping for an arbitrary number of sprints on the rapid board - with the possibility to put any selected sprint into work (albeit one at a time).

Chris Tooley October 28, 2012

A Release view in the Board would be ideal for our case, but not for everyone's. We do use multiple Boards per project and we have Boards that span projects, but each Board is software that should be released together.

Having the Board be so flexible in how it can be defined has the downside of making it more difficult to make a Release Management view that suits everyone's needs. I think this is largely going to have to be a separate thing outside of the Board, as part of the Project.

0 votes
Chris Tooley October 17, 2012

I've not seen a good solution, but we're not moving to 6 for a while.

0 votes
Deleted user October 11, 2012

Ugh.

0 votes
Chris Tooley August 29, 2012

I don't think there's a way to do it at the moment without going back to the Classic Boards. We're going to be staying with 5.10 for the time being.

Deleted user October 11, 2012

Ugh, really? Hate that...

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2012

Since the classic boards are still there, you can still upgrade and when the new boards have the features you need, you are ready to go.

0 votes
Edwin Stol August 29, 2012

My experience with Greenhopper 6 is that they don't go away (you still have the Classic mode), but if you switch to the Rapid Board, there isn't a good way to do proper release planning out of the box.
We've looked into the Structure plug-in, but it adds little help for us.

It seems that Atlassian is coming with a release planning solution soon, so i think you're better off waiting until they release this.

Suggest an answer