How do I disable auto-format of text in areas like Comments?

Blue K September 25, 2020

I have a well-defined way I like to do things, and the text auto-formatting in Comments is getting in the way. Every time I try to put a "-" at the beginning of a line, it assumes I want a bulleted list, and auto-formats what I was trying to do. This slows me down, and makes it so things don't look like I expect/want them to.

How do I turn off auto-format while typing in areas like Comments?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

the only option would be to disable WYSIWYG via Jira labs but that changes other things as well --> click avatar > personal settings.

Blue K September 25, 2020

What "other" things does this impact? If it's too catastrophic or pervasive, that doesn't really seem like a fix. You should just be able to declare a field "do not auto format".

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2020

that is conveyed in the personal setting where you disable. Basically you go back to the old issue view. this only impacts your view not for all users.

0 votes
chaim H August 23, 2021

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-turn-off-AutoFormatting-in-our-Issue-text-fields/qaq-p/779704

Rodolfo Apr 23, 2018 • edited

Hi Hunter, you can achieve this by adding one of these macros around the text you want to not be autoformatted:

• {code}<text here>{code}
  • {noformat}<text here>{noformat}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events