How do I create boards in existing project in the new JIRA?

Steven Garbarino November 12, 2017

In the previous version of JIRA, it was easy enough to create a board in an existing project. You could do it from the project, or you could also go to the "boards" tab in the main nav. However, if I do not already have a board, there is no way to create a new board in the new JIRA UI.

Funny enough, if you do have a board in your project, you can create another by clicking on the three dots in the project's board view.

It makes it difficult to set up a new project, because I now have to create from Scrum or Kanban, and go back and set up the all schemes I need. I would much prefer to copy from an old project structure, and only have to set up the board. 

7 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
Federico Rabinstein December 28, 2017

As you mentioned, the 'Create board' option is available on the Boards tab, but this tab is shown only if your project already has a board. So if you have no board, you cannot access the 'Create board' option...

However, you may go to a different project that does have a board (or even create a bogus project if necessary), in order to be able to access the 'Create board' option. Once in the 'Create board' UI, you'll have the chance to indicate which project(s) your new board will include.

(EDIT: typos)

Steven Garbarino January 4, 2018

This works! @Atlassian should definitely fix it, as I don't imagine this is how they intended for new boards to be created, but the solution works for now. Thanks @Federico Rabinstein!

Ryan Kehoe January 12, 2018

I agree.  This is a terrible UX until it gets fixed.  @atlassian needs to address.  If this is a tool built to support Agile, boards are an integral part of Kanban and Scrum, and creating one at the beginning of a project needs to be very easy.

Like # people like this
Wes Turner February 2, 2018

Super horrible user experience. There's got to be a better way to get boards added to a new project without several clicks. Currently the easiest way is to switch back to the old theme and click the dropdown beneath the project info in the top left side of the screen.

Like # people like this
John Lovell February 5, 2018

So disappointed that this bug persists. It makes the entire "Create project with shared configuration" option seem completely broken. 

Like # people like this
Alex Crooks February 15, 2018

The new JIRA doesn't give me an option to create a board for an existing project from that screen....

Screen%20Shot%202018-02-15%20at%2008.28.33

Siobhán Kelly February 27, 2018

Thank you so much for this answer - it was very confusing!!

Mark Malamut April 10, 2018

I am in a project that has a board but I do not see any option (nor the 3 dots) to create a new board.  I agree that this part of the I/F is terrible.  Why is it so difficult?

Atlassian - are you listening???

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

@Mark Malamutyou can create a new board as follows:

1. click magnifying glass
  2. select View all boards
  3. top right you will see "Create board"

if you create a lot of boards and 3-clicks is undesirable you might bookmark the https://urcompany.atlassian.net/secure/ManageRapidViews.jspa link.

Like # people like this
Patrick Moore April 16, 2018

We extensively use "Create Project from Shared Configuration" and the lack of ability to create a board within the project (that option doesn't create a board for you, even if the previous project had one) is a horrendous UX mistake!

Yes, there are work around, but this needs to be fixed...what were they thinking?

Stefan Schittly June 11, 2018

Totally agree. We are missing the possibility to define our own Project Default Configurations so much, it's unbelievable. We can get the isse screen schemes from "Create Board from Shared Configuration", but than we have to add a board in a really painful way. As we do need to add up to ten projects per day - is this really the way it is meant to be?

Needs to be fixed really fast, as this could be a stopper for using JIRA in future.

Jason Townes French July 15, 2018

Six months and the UX for one of the most foundational mechanics still remains broken.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2018

@Jason Townes French, what exactly the issue you are currently facing. Can you not creat a board?

Jason Townes French July 15, 2018

Well before just finding the option to Create a Board was the issue. I've resolved that by doing the workaround via "Search > View All Board > Create". Now my issue is that when I do this to create a board, the list of projects I can parent to doesn't include any of my newly-created projects. My guess are because they are of the Agility template? But the UI forces me to use that template when creating projects.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2018

@Jason Townes French, You cannot create a Kanban or Scrum board for Agility project only an Agility board. I suspect that you do not have permissions to create other project types. 

Bob Curtis July 27, 2018

Brilliant!

4 votes
DK Long October 16, 2019

any updates on this yet? i can't create extra board for my project!

1 vote
Iddo Weiner August 1, 2020

Must add that this indeed feels very much like a bug.

The "create new board" from the "view all boards" is a workaround that worked nicely for me.

But... this is clearly just that, a workaround. Not intuitive...

1 vote
Michael Laugesen August 30, 2019

This is the worst. Im considering to abandon Jira. I cant create boards - i can get the dialog to open, but it is unresponsive. What a mess. Please fix

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2019

@Michael Laugesen , can you elaborate on your problem? How are you attempting to create a board and of what type (scrum/kanban)? Is the project for which you plan to include in the board NG or Classic? I expect your post should be a new question but unclear as yet.

Michael Laugesen August 30, 2019

Yes ofc.

I am trying to create more than one next gen boards. As i have move through the community forums I have discovered that it is a (feature?!) to only have one next gen board. This is beyond my comprehension.

I have to oversee a project in  different departments, but under the same dev cycle; eg I need to have a roadmap with epics, stories, tasks and different boards for: Design, Engineering, Dev etc. They each have their own workflow, so filtering is not an option.

I was so happy to use Trello, but it had it limits too (no real PM overview - only one board at a time)jira_project.png

Stanislav Petrov December 4, 2019

I have the exact same problem and i am shocked it doesnt have an answer and the UX is so terribly bad. We were planing to move over from Trello but i have to search more for as simple tasks as creating a new board than when i am coding ..

watchth1s June 26, 2020

@Michael Laugesenand if *Location field is missing?

1 vote
Mauricio Hernandez June 16, 2019

Hi all!

And now in June 2019 are there a solution?

I'm new at Jira and I don't know where else find for help with this issue.

Regards

1 vote
Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

You can use "Create project with shared configuration", this link is available on "Create project" dialog screen. This will create new project which shares all the configs with existing project you've chosen as a template.

Steven Garbarino November 13, 2017

Yes, thanks for responding! This is how I normally make projects, but it doesn't copy over the board.

So now I just need to build the board!

John Lovell February 5, 2018

This is a huge huge problem for Jira Cloud users that renders the "Create project with shared configuration" option completely useless for the way we use our organization. 

The kanban board is an essential component to Jira - why does this template option remove the ability for a board or not have a default blank board like you would normally have when creating a project from scratch?

Joseph Wong April 3, 2018

There is an issue regarding the problem with "Create project with shared configuration", it feels like a bug to me that no board was created when using shared configuration. And you can't even add the board to the project directly inside the project.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12804

0 votes
Mohamed Errais March 6, 2018

At worst: We start by defining the board for each project, waiting for the publisher to deploy the solution...

Suggest an answer