How do I create a scrum board when I already built a Kanban board?

Daphne Chow June 7, 2021

I've already built a Kanban board but also want to go and create a scrum board to initiate sprints as well. 

I've gone to boards and clicked created a new board (1) from an existing project, but when I go to select the location (2), I cannot see the correct project/location, I only see other teams' projects not my own.

Is there an issue with the settings?

(1)Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 2.56.23 PM.png

(2)

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 2.56.36 PM.png

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Hi Daphne - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project is this? Team-managed? 

If so, you will need to create a filter for the Team-managed project, something like Project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC where ABC is the project key for your Team-managed project. Be sure to save the filter and share it. Or you can use an existing filter if one exists with the same issues in it.

Go to your list of boards and click on Create board

Choose Scrum

Choose create based on an existing Filter.

Then attach it to the new filter you just created.

For the Location field, you will not be able to use a Team-managed or Business project - only Classic Software projects. Or you can link to your profile - probably best in this case. But this will not keep the board from working - it really only cares about the project(s) in the filter.

Then you are all set. You can modify the board as you need to.

Daphne Chow June 8, 2021

Thanks John! How do I go about adding a filter to a project?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

You add filters to boards, not projects. The filter will include the project. 

0 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

Hi @Daphne Chow , welcome to the Community!

You may be using a team-managed project, which only supports a single board. You can view what project type you are using if you navigate to your project, then at the very bottom of the left-hand side menu it will say what project type you are using. If you are wanting more than one board, then you would need to be using a classic project type.

I have however found this issue on Atlassian Cloud's backlog which is In Progress, so if you are using a Team-managed project and want to continue doing so, you might not have to wait too much longer to get your second board.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

Scrum boards can only be added directly to a software project. However you can set your profile as the location this will create a fully functional scrum board it just will be associated with your profile. To make it accessible from your project then you can use the add item link in the side bar and paste in the URL to your scrum board.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events