How do I create a project hierarchy in Jira Software?

Julie Mayer December 10, 2019

We are planning to use Jira across a number of different product teams. Each team would like to have its own hierarchy or set of projects.

For example, both our mobile and portal application development teams support 2 or 3 different divisions. We would like to create the following hierarchy in Jira so that we can separate our projects from other teams using the tool. Below is an example:

Portal Application Team

• Portal App Division 1 Project
  • Portal App Division 2 Project
  • Portal App Division 3 Project

Mobile Application Team

• Mobile App Division 1 Project
  • Mobile App Division 2 Project

Can you tell me how I can implement something like this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2019

Hi Julie - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As Kirstin mentioned, you should be able to get what you need from the Project Category under Project Settings > Details.

You might also want to look at the Jira Portfolio product for even greater functionality. 

0 votes
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2019

You can use the Project Category to group projects. It can be specified in the admin section of the project (details page).

Other grouping features I'm not aware of. Such thing as a project hierarchy does not exist in JIRA AFAIK.

Cheers,

Kirstin

Suggest an answer