How do I create a default project and issue type when creating issues?

william December 2, 2020

Hi all,

How do I create a default project and issue type when creating issues?

Sure this is pretty common question but couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Found this article but it was incorrect as there is no administration tab - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-change-the-default-issue-type-displayed-at-the-create-issue-screen-707986896.html 

This would save so much time if when I log in it defaulted to the correct project and issue type when I click "Create".

Would also be cool if it auto "assign to me" as can easy miss this

I'm using Next-gen project - Jira Software (Cloud)

I am the account administrator 

Thanks

Will 

2 answers

0 votes
william December 4, 2020

The rule feature is a great fix for not only assigning myself to every ticket if I forget but also to set the default issue type to Tasks

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2020

Hello @william,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The documentation you shared has the steps for Jira Server, that's why you couldn't find the options on your site.

When using next-gen projects, currently, it's not possible to set a default issue type. There is a feature suggesting the implementation of this ability:

For classic projects, it's possible to set the default issue type by going to Project settings > Issue types > Actions > Edit issue types.

Regarding the default project when creating tickets, this option is not available in Jira Cloud. 

When clicking on "Create" it will show the last project you worked on. 

There is also a feature suggesting this:

Related to "Assign to me", there are two options in this case.

If you are the project lead, you can select "Project lead" as the default assignee, so all tickets created on the project will be assigned to you. To change this, go to Project settings > Details. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 14.50.34.png

Another option is to create an automation. Go to Project settings > Apps > Project automation > Create rule. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 14.51.39.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS