How do I convert my project to use the Greenhopper Scrum Template?

Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2012

I know there is a lot of documentation on this, but I find it focuses more on setting up a new project. I have a existing, large project that I want to convert that has its own set of issue types, and it's own issue type screen scheme, and I want to convert it to use the GH Scrum Template. I added the new GH issue types to my existing issue type scheme, but the Scrum template still doesn't apply. Am I supposed to remove the other non-GH issue types? Am I supposed to add new fields to my issue type screen scheme as well, or is it supposed to do that for me?

Update:
I've now added all 4 custom fields to my screens (Flagged, Rank, Business Value, and Story Points). But when I apply the GH Scrum template, I still get the following error. Any ideas?

Changing Template - Scrum
The currently selected issue type scheme for this project is not compatible with the GreenHopper Scrum Issue Type Scheme.
Please migrate to the GreenHopper Scrum Issue Type Scheme by associating your project via Issue Types in the JIRA Administration console. Contact a JIRA Administrator to perform this migration.

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2012

Hi,

we had the same problem and ended up adding the "old" issue types to the SCRUM Template.

Best regards

Thomas

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2012

What do you mean by it won't apply the Scrum template in GH?

It uses the Rank Custom Field field (for ranking), Business Value, Story Points and the Flagged custom field for flagging.

The rest of the template is about how the information is displayed on the cards e.g. Story Points

If this doesn't suit it quite easy to create a new GH template to suit the issues types you are using but I would expect

• Epics
  • User Story
  • Technical Tasks
  • Task (for all those annoying project tasks that always come up)

There is nothing magical about these types and you can create your own for different functionality.

References

How to apply template to an (existing) project:

• Go to planning board
  • Select Tools > Configuration from drop down menu on RHS
  • Select the Scrum templarte (auto saved)

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+your+General+Project+Settings

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Specifying+your+Project+Templates

Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2012

Do I need to add the custom fields to my screens before the template will apply?

Suggest an answer