How do I change the swim-lane of an item on a sprint board using a keyboard only?

Cory Joseph September 5, 2019

I am blind, and use a screen reader to access Jira. 

This means when interacting with a sprint board I cannot drag and drop to move an item from swimlane to swimlane...

How can I do this (nearly as) quickly as someone would with a mouse through keyboard interaction alone?

2 answers

0 votes
Jaclyn Mazzarella
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 4, 2019

Hi Cory, our app for Jira and Confluence will be able to help you alot. Here is Unstoppable for Jira and Confluence. Please check it out as it will help your use case. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=unstoppable

Jaclyn Mazzarella
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 25, 2019

I have also provided a guide here for movings issues through a sprint using Unstoppable for Jira. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtM-gAp4xDg&list=PLE9WUHg1PW43H6kSIo8bbRhGf3vI4ofGI&index=10&t=0s

0 votes
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

Hi @Cory Joseph

Do you mean transition an issue through the columns? 

Swimlanes are often governed by the metadata in a Jira issue - so for example, if the swimlanes are based on Assignee it would change lanes based on which user is assigned.

For transitions, you can transition an issue using keyboard interaction - pressing full stop ( . ) will open the Interaction Menu (think keyboard shortcuts but for more fields). A user can then type in the transition they want to make (eg. In Progress) and it will make that transition for that specific issue.

It does mean knowing the transition names rather than the column names or statuses - but allows for a little more flexibility in utilising the platform. The ( . ) approach also works for editing fields, moving, etc.

Let us know if this is a suitable option :)

Suggest an answer