How do I change the start date of a version?

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

I'm using Greenhopper 6.2. How does one modify the start date of a version after the version has been created?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JoanneA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Peter,

If you mean the Versions in the new panel, you can click on the current start date to edit it in GreenHopper 6.2. If it doesn't have a start date, it should say "None" - just click on that and it should allow you to edit it.

Here are more details:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+6.2+Release+Notes#GreenHopper6.2ReleaseNotes-ViewandEditVersionDetailsviaGreenHopper

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Thanks, JoAnne.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

I'm assuming you mean sprint? See instructions here. If that's not what you mean, can you clarify? :)

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

No, I mean version (aka "release" at my company or fixVersion in JIRA field terminology). Many sprints are in one version. The new Version Report is a nice release burnup on steroids, but I need to know how to change the start date used in the chart.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Hey Peter, versions don't have start dates, they have Release Dates. Sprints have start and end dates. If you're using the new agile/scrum boards, those are based off of sprints, not versions. You can still use the Classic boards, which are based off versions, but again, those do not have start dates. There are some dashboard gadgets which work with Classic boards, and those have start dates...is that what you mean

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Versions do have start dates. Show the Versions panel while in Planning mode on a board. Click the "+" to create a new version and you will see that you can enter a start date.

The question I have is how to modify that start date after the version has been created.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

My apologies, Peter - all this criss-cross of functionality between classic and new, sprints and versions, is totally confusing sometimes. Found your answer:

In Classic Planning Board, with version selected that you wish to edit, on the right side make sure the "expand all" button has been activated. You should see the version in the column with all its fields; there is a pencil next to each field, including Start Date, you can edit from there. You need to be an adminstrator (documentation from Atlassian doesn't state if they mean JIRA admin or admin permission to project, scroll down to #10 in that page to see what I mean) in order to edit the field. Sorry for all the confusion!

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Sorry, can't edit my comment - this is the url I meant so you can scroll to #10 (the one above goes to bottom of page).

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

It's been so long since I've used the Classic board that I forgot about that angle. I hope there's a straightforward, transparent method in the pipeline.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Agreed - the terminology and functionality is getting so confusing since GreenHopper is attempting to run two different methodologies. I'm looking forward to the removal of "classic" and streamlining of the new boards. Sorry again for my confusion, and I'm glad I was finally able to find you the correct answer :)

Scott Bourdeau April 22, 2013

It sure sounds like Peter could be referring to the new "Versions" that you can now see in Plan mode on a Scrum board on the new Boards (not classic Planning Board). The Versions tab shows up right next to the Epics tab.

Peter, is this what you are referring to?

Suggest an answer