How do I change the filter of an Agile board?

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2012

I want to change the filter of an Agile board. When I type the name of the filter into the Saved Filter field in the board configuration, a list of existing filters appears, but none of them is the filter I want. There is no option to perform an advanced search as there is other places in JIRA. How do I narrow the list down to include the filter I want to select?

The screen shot shows what happens when I type the name of the filter I want. The list of options provided is only showing some (it appears to stop at only 20) of the filters that include "2" in the name.

I pressed Enter with the name I wanted (Team 2), but all that did was select the highlighted filter which completely screwed up my board and caused me to lose all previous sprints.

Now I can't get back to the filter I originally had and I can't get to the new filter I want. And I'm guessing that I've lost the past sprints associated with this board forever.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012

Thanks, Justin! Temporarily changing the name of the filter to something that would pop to the top of the search list worked.

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Hi Peter,

You definitely have not lost any sprints or other information. The board discovers sprints etc by examining the issues that match the filter then looking at their sprint fields, once you get the right filter back the board will be identical to what it was.

Try again but use the "Team" keyword first, wait for the list to update then "Team 2" should be one of your options in the list.

Thanks,
Shaun

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Thanks, Shaun. I'm sure that would work if "Team 2" was among the first 20 filters with Team in the name, but we have enough Team 1 filters that the filter I want isn't displayed in the options when I use your suggestion.

Does Greenhopper really limit the results to 20 without an alternative way to select the desired filter?

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Not arbitrarily no, it's the way the UI component in JIRA works. We do hope to address this in the future.

Thanks,
Shaun

Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

It sounds like this means I can't actually return my board to the state it was in until this issue is addressed. It seems like my only option is to delete the board and the filter and then recreate them from scratch. Is that correct?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

No idea if this will work, but could you temporarily change the name of the filter to something more unique (e.g. "ThisIsTheFilterINeed") and search for that? Then associate that with your board, and then change the filter name back?

Again, completely untested and I don't know if it will work, just something off the top of my head.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

Awesome, glad to hear it!

Suggest an answer