How do I change the column width on a RapidBoard Kanban board with lots of columns?

Zachary Levey June 8, 2012

I've got a team using the RapidBoard Kanban view and they've got 20 columns set up. The columns are compressed and look awful instead of remaining a reasonable width and being readable. Is there a way to increase the column width and have the window scroll? It's pretty unusable as it stands and we'd like an alternative view.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2012

Hi Zack,

There's no way to do this at the moment. Many customers just use two separate boards, one with the first 10 columns, the other with the remaining 10. This generally makes sense because boards with that many columns often include multiple conceptual stages (for example the development steps then the QA steps).

Thanks,
Shaun

Zachary Levey October 18, 2012

It's an answer, and I understand it, but I had to ask for a team that I'm helping set up. Thanks!

Jan Bennett February 15, 2020

Hi Shaun,

It really is necessary to have a horizontal scroll bar on the project board screen, and adjustable board-column width too.  The way the fonts auto-adjust is a little clever but completely messes up my kanban board and don't forget I often share my screen across Webex and/or Skype onto several displays of differing quality so small fonts is not a robust solution.

Even a simple Kanban has 7 columns.

Keeping two boards is insane as you don't want to flip between them (and flipping is not Jira's strong point anyway...).  The same people who are busy in develop need to have an interest in publish and follow up or you can forget team design and go back to waterfall silos.  It is often the case that publish and follow up need to draw on developers and specifiers.

Please put this request into your Jira sprint for project board development with a high priority.   I see it has been 7 years since you answered this - so perhaps you forgot or moved on?  Anyway - if you fixed it and hid the solution as a project option under the back page of the workflow issue flow upside downside field width display screen thingumy please let me know.

Thanks

KR

Jan

3 votes
Chris Miller April 22, 2017

Hi, I'm sorry, but this completely defeats the purpose of using a Kanban board. Not being able to adjust the column widths means the team has to scoll down relentlessly to see all of the teams' tasks in a given column. Even if I wanted to use a "second" board to display only the backlog, it's still a narrow column. This is why everyone on my team would rather use LeanKit instead of this product. I can't really understand why this isn't a feature..?

0 votes
David Collins September 13, 2019

Hi, I agree I would like this feature added if possible. I understand about splitting in to separate boards, which I have done and the team use it 'mostly' in this way... However sometimes there is a benefit of being able to see the end to end process 'all at once'.

For example, all of our Stories that are for MVP which is what we are focused on delivering right now. I have a board that shows our end to end process on one board, and I have created a quick filter on this board to only show MVP stories, so at a glance we can see where everything is. However the columns are so narrow that you can't even read the column headers.

Suggest an answer