How do I bulk change other type of issues into epics?

We have hundreds of New Feature issues (a custom issue type) that I want to change to be Epics. Naturally, I want to do this in bulk, not one at a time. How can I do this given the required Epic fields are not part of any other issu type (Epic Name, Epic Colour, Epic Status)?

2 answers

1 vote

If you can group the issues that you want to set to a specific Epic with a single search query, you can use the bulk edit option in the issue navigator to change the Epic Link or Epic/Theme of all of them at the same time. Please look here for more details on bulk changes.

If you want to change the issue type of a bulk of issues, you can use the bulk move option to move the issues within the same project, but to another issue-type, in your case Epic. Please look here for more details on this.

Mick, thanks for taking time to respond. Re-reading my original post, I see that I didn't do a good job explaining what I'm trying to do. I used the JIRA term "move" to describe my needs instead of writing that I really want to change New Features into Epics.

I don't simply want to associate stories (or any other type of issue) with an Epic. I'm trying to get rid of the New Feature issue type since JIRA Agile doesn't support a three-tier model of Epic->Feature->Story.

I'll edit my original post to make my intent more clear.

I have the same need. I should add that Jira does support a three tier Epic -> Story -> Sub-task

I'm in the same situation and have to change ~300 issues of another type to type epic. "Epic Name" is making it to a not automatic step. I opened a support ticket to get an answer and pointed to this question, too.

Did you get an answer to your support ticket Maik?

I am having the same issue

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,221 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you